Low Sugar Breakfast??

Options
Help! I'm looking for some yummy breakfast ideas that don't contain a lot of sugar. I'm really trying to watch my sugar intake and just a glass of milk has almost half of my recommended sugar intake. I eat breakfast at 6 am so I'm also looking for something to curve my hunger through the morning. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Shannon15
    Options
    Help! I'm looking for some yummy breakfast ideas that don't contain a lot of sugar. I'm really trying to watch my sugar intake and just a glass of milk has almost half of my recommended sugar intake. I eat breakfast at 6 am so I'm also looking for something to curve my hunger through the morning. Any suggestions?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with sweetner and some sunflower seed or chopped nuts(protien and fiber)
    or an egg white omelet with whatever veggies u like in it-3 works well
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hi...yes I know..I was concerned about all the sugar in milk but that is a better sugar than the kinds we need to make surte and limit or eliminate.

One great thing to do with a high sugar meal is totake a tblespoon of fiber powder with it. I use plain old Psyllium Husks in a glass of cold water. The fiber slows down the rush of sugar into our system and makes us feel full and is good for cleaning us out.

You might want to read the SOuth Beach Diet...I am not saying go on that diet, but it has good information on sugar
    :smile:
    Dave
  • robsgal
    robsgal Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar free whole wheat toast, 1/2 tbsp low sugar peanut butter and half a banana. I ate this every day when I lost 20 lbs in 2007 and I ate this everyday to help keep off my weight. It's quick & easy and usually I don't get hungry but if I do I'll eat some almonds or an ounce of string cheese.

I'm not an expert on milk, in fact I can't stand the taste of milk, but isn't the sugar in Milk different then regular sugar and doesn't it effect you in another way, like not on your waist? You may want to look into that before you eliminate milk. Just a thought.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    In addition to what Dave said about the South Beach Diet, you could also read the Atkins book!!

Atkins and South Beach state to ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.............eat your carbs with protein and / or fiber to stop the surge and to keep you full and satisfied feeling and your blood sugar stable.

Also, you shouldn't go more than 4 waking hours without having at least a snack.
  • Shannon15
    Options
    Interesting... So if the sugars from milk, fruits, and "added sugars" are all lumped together on the nutrition label, anyone have any suggestions what would be a good goal for each type? Fruits take up a lot of my sugar intake, along with my daily glass of milk in the morning. How can I make sure that I'm not having too much of a "good" thing while still watching my "added sugar" intake?
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    I had some questions quite similar to yours a few weeks ago. I was concerned because everyday my sugar intake was waaaayyyy over, so I posed a question about it here. I got some interesting replies, and it made sense when I looked at what I was eating. I wasn't eating alot of processed sugar, mine was mostly natural (fruit, milk, etc) and a member told me that as long as I was going over with natural sugars, my body would know what to do with them. Processed sugars are the ones you have to watch out for though. Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The Incredible Edible Egg....

YUM...

no to mention, there are a thousand ways to prepare them... \

if you're in a bind for time, hard boil a few the night before and eat one on the go!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    According to my diabetic endocrinologist, your body can not differentiate between natural sugar or processed sugar...............

So, your milk, fruits, veggies, breads, cereals, other starches that convert to sugar will all cause a blood sugar response.

That is why it is good to eat fruit and veggies and not have juice, because of the fiber slowing down the absorption rate.

It is also a good practice to eat protein when you have anything that contains sugar, no matter if it is natural sugar or processed sugar.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese and some fiber 1. I had to cut back on my fruit because it was too much carb. How sad! Sugarless fiber cereals are good with added sweetener. :flowerforyou: Don't decrease your calcium intake, high levels are supposed to aid in weight loss. Anything with protein, shouldn't have much if any sugar.