Thoughts on Yoghurt parfait??

Options
Seems to be pretty healthy, but is it filling?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    any particular one you're thinking of or just in general? if you do them with greek yogurt they are sooo filling! just watch out for granola if you use it - very calorie dense.
  • jillyjelly
    jillyjelly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think so - I like the ones that have nuts mixed with straberries
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    any particular one you're thinking of or just in general? if you do them with greek yogurt they are sooo filling! just watch out for granola if you use it - very calorie dense.

General really.... I'm thinking about getting some yoghurt, nuts, and fruit. Maybe try it out. IS there a certain kind of yoghurt I should look for??
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    use bran buds in place of granola, and 0%mf greek yogourt
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    SO filling! i have that for breakfast every other day (or so)

Blueberries - Fresh
    Generic - Ground Organic Flax Seed
    Trader Joe's - Trek Mix Granola Cereal, Nut & Berry Blend
    Trader Joe's - Greek Style Nonfat Plain Yogurt
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    Do to all my research in nutrition school i've come to the conclusion that milk is not fit for human consumption as it causes congestion in the sinuses and mucus build up in the arteries causes major problems in the body and so much more. Excessive amounts of dairy products actually interfere with calcium absorption. Secondly, the excess of protein that the milk provides is a major cause of the osteoporosis problem.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt provides great protein. I think it tastes terrible by itself. So, I mix it with fruit and nuts - ala a parfait ! I use kiwi, blackberries, strawberries, oranges - top it off with some walnuts. Fills me up. I usually use it as an afternoon snack.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I have them almost daily and love them. I use Dannon plain Greek yogurt and add half a scoop of vanilla protein powder with a little vanilla extract and some splenda...so good and really high in protein. Then I either add blackberries or strawberries and top it with about 1/4 cup of granola. For granola I use Target's Archer Farms brand of granola cereal, so for 1/4 cup there's only 90 calories and about 2 grams of fiber.

A lot of the store bought and restaurant chain yogurt parfaits are going to be really high in sugar and not have as much protein. Like McDonald's yogurt parfait has like 5 grams of protein and around 20 grans of sugar.
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I went to my local Sprouts farmers market and bought strauss non-fat plain yoghurt along with (frozen) blueberries-no added sugar - and fresh strawberries. I passed the nuts because even though they have good fat I can't get past the dense calories. So hopefully I like it when I have it for breakfast tomorrow- if I feel the need to add nuts I'll just crumble a bit of my fiber bar into it because it has some nuts. We'll see if I like it...I hope my yoghurt isn't too plain.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I know that Greek yogurt does have a lot of protein, even more than nuts, so don't worry if you don't want to sacrifice calories for a small portion of nuts! It is super important to have protein at breakfast though, so make sure you are eating high protein foods like milk and greek yogurt, and eggs!
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I make my own at work -- Plain 0% greek yogurt + berries/fruit + 1/4 cup Kashi Go-Lean Crunch. Delish.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Due to a medication I take in the morning I can't eat until I'm at work. I'm not a huge yogurt fan because the sweetened ones are so high in calories and sugars. Also, some of the textures are not appealing to me (e.g., the whipped yogurts). However, I have found that a 6 oz Light and Fit is great, along with a serving of almonds (28). I mix the almonds with the yogurt and it's a great texture contract. I found a Toasted Coconut Vanilla flavor that's very tasty with the almonds. I am quite full until lunch, although some days I have a cup of fruit around 10 mostly to address desk boredom temptations.

I think the key is finding the flavor and texture of the yogurt that you like and what combination of fruit and/or nuts is appealing. I felt the same way as you about nuts for a long time until I realized that the flavor, texture and nutritional value of many nuts made them a logical thing to incorporate in appropriate amounts.