To all the Runners out there

Options
I am going to foray into the world of running. But first and foremost I need some good shoes to start with.

So, here I am looking for suggestions.

1> I am not a runner to begin with
2> Need a shoe with good impact absorbtion
3> need a shoe my Orthotics will fit into OR a shoe with the support already there

So knowing those 3 criteria where would you recommend going ?

Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would recommend hitting up your local running store, if you have one, to get fitted properly.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    To an athletic store or a running shoe store specifically. They can fit you there, measure all kinds of different variables and take into account your orthodics to find the BEST shoes possible for you. If at all possible, don't skimp on your shoes. find a good possible price range, try on multiple shoes in that price range, and get the one that best fits YOU. Not all people will function at their best with the same shoe.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the above. The best thing to do is go to a running store and get properly fitted. Its free and then you'll know the type of shoe to look for and can go out and buy the right shoes.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Try Road Runner Sports or google Shoe Dog to find some locations. ;) They will help you find what you need.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Same for me too. You need an expert to look at you walking/running to assess what you need. A bit more expensive, but money you'll be glad you spent in the long term. Give myself as an example, I got shin splints *then* went to a good store. The trainers I have now are totally different to my last pair, and heel wedges too. I was also told that my left knee would probably have caused me problems soon too, so couldn't recommend this approach more to avoid injury. I hope you enjoy it :-)
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    Yup, go yo the local running store. Not the big box store. They can analyse your gait, check your pronation. Shoes can help make or break a runner!
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you ideas. :flowerforyou:

I will definitely be going to a running store. And not skimping on the shoes, I care more about my feet/knees than I do about the clothing I'm wearing. Good shoes it is.

I have always been afraid of running because of the impact (always stayed away from impact sports) however, I have come to the conclusion that if I do it right there will be no issues, and in the end it will make me all the more stronger/fit. LOVE IT :)

I look forward to giving it a go... we are moving to a mountain community soon and thought that running would be a great way to see the trails... Not to mention staying in great condition for ski season.

And the other (hopeful) advantage will be to get a nice runners butt instead of this Ghetto booty that follows me everywhere :blushing:

Cheers
    WR
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I would recommend hitting up your local running store, if you have one, to get fitted properly.
    Best way to go! (I love to run)
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Dont discount propper running clothes. Shoes are very important (def get fitted by a runner at a specialty store, not a box store) but so is comfort!! Chafing can be an issue for beginners. I had that under my arms close to my body (just used additional anti-perspirant there) some people love Body-glide.
    Are you starting a couch to 5K program? There are some really good ones on-line that help you to progress. Your gonna love it =)
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use to run 26+ miles a day ( running made me happy ) http://www.roadrunnersports.com/ was a main stay check and see if you have one near you the staff was great when I first started they can do great things!

~Raven~
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Are you starting a couch to 5K program? There are some really good ones on-line that help you to progress. Your gonna love it =)

Yup... Once I can get into the store for the shoes I will be starting the couch-5k... Just in time for winter hahaha
    i'm not going to discount the clothes. Just prioritizing :) I have some suitable stuff to get me started... the cold weather wear is what im going to have to invest in... should go well with the asthma hahaha - who am I kidding!