Garlic Bread Alternative

Options
I love garlic bread and would love to know if anyone has a healthy alternative to the traditional garlic bread. The stuff I have been eating (great value brand or new york texas toast) has too many calories in it and I want to find an alternative so I don't have to give it up. I also want to mention that I don't eat garlic bread a ton (once or twice a month). I am not opposed to making my own garlic bread. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love garlic bread, and do miss it a little.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Ughh Garlic bread is always so high in calories.. It's so not fair. This is not the best alternative but if you are really craving garlic bread it works. I will take a whole wheat bread or english muffin, toast it spray it with zero (or low) calorie spray butter and sprinkle a TINY bit of garlic salt on it.. It taste decent and it's low in calories.
  • dkvote
    Options
    I use Sara Lee Light bread...two slices(90 calories) and use canola cooking spray(depends on length of spray) on both sides and then lightly dust with garlic powder(1/2 teaspoon is 5 cal.)...bake in the oven until slightly brown on one side and the turn over and brown the other. Anxious to see what others use though as well.
  • SKastanis
    Options
    If you only eat it once or twice a month, then don't worry about it. Consider it a treat. If this were a weekly thing, then yes, try finding an alternative. I wouldn't worry about it though. Try to limit yourself to a slice or two, and you should be fine. Good garlic bread is worth it!
  • msheldon88
    msheldon88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! I have the Johnny garlic seasoning. Maybe I''ll try that:)
  • mariasb
    mariasb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try a light hamburger or hot dog bun, brush with a little olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt and parm. cheese (optional) and toast under the broiler. Good Luck.
  • rwuchic
    rwuchic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use arnold sandwich thins with a 1/2 tbsp I can't believe it's not butter. garlic powder and salt. I toast in the oven.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    not sure if you can get it where you are, but Tesco do a Light Choices garlic baguette which is still pretty high but much lower overall than normal brands. Sure, it doesn't taste as good and I LOVE the takeaway garlic bread/tear 'n' share and i think if you're having it rarely than it's nice to go for the good quality stuff (i say quality meaning tasty ;p) and really enjoy it!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    what about if you take the garlic and keep mashing it and "cook" it in a way until it turns into a paste and add some olive oil
  • mariasb
    mariasb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh, cooking spray would definitely work. That is what I use on potatoes in the oven to make "french fries", they do crisp up a little.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If it's only once or twice a month, why not plan for it and enjoy the real thing? I think garlic bread is probably one of those things that there aren't really any great 'healthy' substitutes for. (sadly)