Boxed mixes?

Perfectlycrooked
Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
edited October 2 in Food and Nutrition
So, my grandma buys me tons of boxed cakes and brownies but they're so fatty! :P
Is there a way to make them a little healthier? Like diet pop or apple sauce and stuff like that? Any suggestions?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Instead of oil, use applesauce. Instead of eggs, try egg whites. I made cupcakes from a box mix for my birthday and all it called for was water & oil so I used water and applesauce and they turned out SO moist, everyone loved them and it saved about 100 calories EACH.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Um maybe put some strawberries on the top?
    Or other fruit.?
  • One can of pure pumpkin puree + box of brownie mix = :)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    You can use diet soda and nothing else. The cake comes out crumbly. I make muffins sometimes with boxed cake mix and pumpkin puree from a can.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    You can use any boxed mixes with a can of any diet soda: white cake with diet 7up, chocolate cake with diet coke, strawberry cake with diet cherry soda, etc. Any combo that sounds good to you.

There have been recent posts about pumpkin cupcakes: Mix one box spice cake mix with a small can of pumpkin and bake as normal. You can also use chocolate cake mix and pumpkin.

You can also sub applesauce for oil in any of the mixes, but you still need the eggs (I use egg whites).
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Cakes: Chocolate and a can of diet coke, vanilla add a can of diet sunkist. Yummy cakes, half the calories!
  • for dessert today I took a white cake mix, mixed it with a large can of crushed pineapple (with juice)...and baked at 350 for about 30 minutes...absolutely delish!
  • I've used Spice cake mix and Brownie Mix with Canned pumpkin as substitue for the oil and Egg white instead of whole eggs, they both turned out amazing. I created a fat free cream cheese mix to swirl through the top of the brownies and it was really good especially for a fall treat. :)
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Check out www.hungrygirl.com and www.skinnytaste.com for awesome recipe ideas!!!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    You could donate them to your local food bank. You don't have to feel bad about donating unhealthy food because they will probably give one box to a family. Keep a few for yourself and make soda cake Just watch your portions!:smile:
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    You can puree a can of black beans in a blender/food processor and add them to a brownie mix instead off eggs and oil.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    You could donate them to your local food bank. You don't have to feel bad about donating unhealthy food because they will probably give one box to a family. Keep a few for yourself and make soda cake Just watch your portions!:smile:

That's an awesome idea! I never thought about that(:
    I mean, we've got like 30 of them.. they're taking over the pantry! At least I know they'd be going some place good(:
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Thanks everyone, these are awesome ideas! (:
This discussion has been closed.