Yum, that Saag was the best I've ever made

Options
I love Indian food and for 2 years while we lived in Laredo, the closest Indian restaurant was 3.5hrs away in San Antonio so I started working on making it at home. I found a great recipe for Naan on allrecipies.com, which turned out to be the easiest thing in the world to make but my favorite dish, Saag alluded me for quite some time.

I made is yesterday and wow, it was the best I've ever made. It tasted just like at the restaurant. I use a recipie from allrecipies for the saag too but this time, I got all the spices in their whole form and ground them myself as well as used fresh spinach instead of frozen.

The best indication of a job well done? It makes about 8 servings and between hubby and I last night, what he took for lunch, and my lunch today, there is only one serving left in the pot.

I really do think anything can be made at home sometimes it just takes a couple goes to get it right.

Replies

• babbityboo
    babbityboo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Saag is the yummiest dish ever!! Where did you find your recipe? I'd love to make it. It's just sooooo good!!
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Saag..and always order Saag Paneer when I eat Indian. Maybe one day I will have your ambition and make it for myself too..mmm...Saag...Naan...mmmm...lol
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    For the Saag, Naan, and Garam Masala all on allrecipies.com The Saag is listed as "Curried Spinach with Fresh Cheese (Saag Paneer)".

It's a bit of a pain in the butt to make because it takes preparation. It's best to make the paneer and garam masala ahead of time. I had hoped to make Indian last Monday so I made the paneer and garam masala last Sun but life got in the way of my cooking plans. The cheese was fine in the fridge for a week. I go ahead and blend the saag when finished because I like it smooth but it's not a requirement.
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for Saag Paneer using cottage cheese I'm going to try - possibly an alternative if you're in a hurry.
  • babbityboo
    babbityboo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oooooh!! I like Saag Chicken. nom! xx