drink problem v.s alcoholic ?

Options
oregonlady
oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
:drinker: i admit it!
i enjoy my alcohol (mostly wine) to a fault.:drinker:
i find it hard to resist every evening and i do not want just 1 10 oz. glass. 3 or 4 10 oz glasses are preferred! almost 1000 calories!
i have never experienced a problem (passing out, loosing time, etc...) because of my drinking, i just crave it!

do i have a drinking problem or am i an alcoholic? is there a difference?

p.s. this is my 3rd day w/ MFD and i did not drink the last 2 nights:heart:

Replies

• oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    :drinker: i admit it!
    i enjoy my alcohol (mostly wine) to a fault.:drinker:
    i find it hard to resist every evening and i do not want just 1 10 oz. glass. 3 or 4 10 oz glasses are preferred! almost 1000 calories!
    i have never experienced a problem (passing out, loosing time, etc...) because of my drinking, i just crave it!

do i have a drinking problem or am i an alcoholic? is there a difference?

p.s. this is my 3rd day w/ MFD and i did not drink the last 2 nights:heart:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I love my wine, my DH and I used to go through 1 or 2 bottles a night :) have cut down a bit due to calories!!! :brokenheart:

no problems!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If you crave it all the time and don't want to ever go without, it's an addiction.
    That's why they call it 'functional alcoholism'. (I'm not saying you are one, I'm just saying.)

If you've been able to go 2 days, I think you are doing well.

I self medicate with food to comfort me and relax me at night.
    Sounds like you self medicate with 3 or 4 glasses of wine to unwind.
    I wouldn't call it alcoholism, per se, but it probably should be monitored, especially since you've noticed and wondered about it yourself.

(Just my two cents.)
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering addict so I do not drink alcohol anymore ever! As far as if you have a drinking problem only you can answer that, I am sure there is something on the AA or NA website that can help you decide.:flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Ooooohhhhhhh sistah!! :heart:

I deal with the very same demon (as you already know!) :wink:

My resolution this year was to stop drinking during the weekend and indulge with my wine on the weekends. Having good days and bad days with it.

I'll scooch over on the weekday wagon and make room for you! :flowerforyou:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you can't say "no" to it, then it would be an addicition... as said. If you have control over it, then it's just a habit. If the habit is keeping you from your goals, then adjust it so that you intake less. If it's truly an addiction, then you'll need to work even harder to take control of it.
  • Christianmom
    Christianmom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above answers. And I would say, it's probably only a problem if it interferes with your life (family, church, work, etc.) Sometimes it's hard to us to say if it really interferes (we need to ask our family members). Personally, I used to drink but have made the decision not to drink for many reasons (my family, my christian walk, no more headaches - yeah! ). But, I don't crave it. My husband loves a couple of glasses of wine at the end of the day. Since I have migraines, drinking isn't really a good idea - especially wine. Many with alcohol addiction can stop for long periods of time. I would say if it "runs your life" it's a problem. If you can have a great day or a good time without it, then it probably isn't a big deal.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've tried the no drinks during the weekdays...doesn't always work for me. :embarassed:

I need something to "take the edge off". If not my mind will just race when I go to bed and I can't fall asleep. I'd rather have my wine than the pills the docs were trying to put into me.

You aren't alone. :flowerforyou:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've tried the no drinks during the weekdays...doesn't always work for me. :embarassed:

I need something to "take the edge off". If not my mind will just race when I go to bed and I can't fall asleep. I'd rather have my wine than the pills the docs were trying to put into me.

I dont know how often I call my husband on the way home from work and say " you better have a bottle of wine open when I get home" :laugh:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a bottle of wine an evening - to help me 'unwind' but since September, I haven't finioshed a bottle of wine, in fact the one I opened on Xmas day is still half full in the fridge, only used for 4 of us for a small glass with our dinner.
    My works gave me a bottle of blossom hill for xmas, it'll probably be in the fridge until next Xmas !!!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I dont know how often I call my husband on the way home from work and say " you better have a bottle of wine open when I get home" :laugh:

:laugh: If he meets you in the drive with a glass, I'd say you won the husband lottery! :laugh:
  • tamlom
    tamlom Posts: 49
    Options
    :drinker: I'm the same way. I love a few glasses of wine at night. But not every night. And I have been know to "black out" occasionally but I don't crave it. It's usually when I go out with a bunch of people and I am not comfortable so I drink more than normal. I don't go out that often, maybe once every few months. But I wouldn't consider myself to have a problem as it isn't all the time nor does it interfere with normal life; except for the day after hangover :wink:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    My little friend/enemy is beer not wine.:embarassed:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Alcoholism doesn't mean you're a nasty drunk. It means you have an addiction to alcohol. Just like how smokers have an addiction to nicotine and coffee drinkers have an addiction to caffeine. some smokers only have a few cigarettes a day, other smoke a few packs a day but both are still addicted. By that logic you can still be considered an alcoholic, even if fyou aren't drinking to the point of passing out. If you crave a drink everyday, or even more than once a day you are an alcoholic. 1000 calories worth of liquor in a single day is excessive. 4 large glasses of wine in a night? Maybe the only reason you're not drunk off it is because you've been doing it for so long. If I drank that much I'd be sick for 3 days. It's good that you are recognizing that this may not be a good habit to hang onto. Best of luck :flowerforyou:

ps- binge drinking for a woman means having more than 2 drinks in a single sitting. Binge drinking is absolutely NOT healthy. Red wine is said to have health benefits, but not when you consume it that way.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    My alcohol goes down just fine new_all_coholic.gif

I have no problem with drinking th_smalldancingman.gif

J/K........all joking aside. I only drink on weekends...but have no problem going without it. But, when I was younger, I got an underage drinking ticket. I had to go to a class at a hotel for a week. I gradiated drunk school :smokin: :drinker: :laugh: Their description of alcoholism is if you can't go and just have one glass and stop, you can't go without it, or dependence on alcohol consumption to an extent that adversely affects social and work-related functioning and produces withdrawal symptoms when intake is stopped or greatly reduced.

When I looked on the internet I found this http://alcoholism.about.com/od/tests/a/quiz_alcoholic.htm and http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/alcohol-use/alcoholuse-alcoholic.html Maybe it will help :flowerforyou: Good luck to you :flowerforyou: (you can do a search on the web for symptoms of alcoholism too) :flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy my glass or two of wine in the evenings.:drinker: It helps me relax after a long day with the kids. I am trying to just have one glass a day, so we will see how that goes.:smile:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    2 days is a great start.

not sure if this is helpful but here's my two cents....

I cannot call my Mom in the evening hours - she drinks 4 or 5 or more don't really know each night. She's told me more times than I can count on my fingers I've quit drinking - no more but 3 or 4 days later it's on her voice again - she gets real happy and sweet after a few glasses and then remembers nothing about her conversations. My brother's have experienced the same thing - alcoholic - not sure if that's the correct term but that's where I categorize her because she can't seem to say no.

An example - we were out of town one Saturday (to return in the evening) 1 1/2 hours away. My daughter called frantic because she backed into a tree - her first fender bender - well I called my Mom to go to our house to check on her and how do I ask someone who you can hear on the phone that they've been drinking to be responsible for my child - not happening. She doesn't realize or won't admit that anything is out of the ordinary or any problem.

If you think there's a problem - only you can fix it. I just know how wine affects my family negatively.

On a side note - I watched my step father - her husband suffer and die as a result of being a hardcore alcoholic. I don't drink unless a special event - maybe 4 drinks a year or something like that. My husband doesn't drink and hasn't for over 17 years. We've seen what too much can do!
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Have you had any detox symptoms from not drinking? i.e. Tremors, nausea, loss of appetite, loss of sleep, vomiting, sweating, restlessness, irritability, higher than normal blood pressure, pulse rate, intense cravings, seeing/hearing things that are not really there, ect.? If you are a true alcoholic and your body has become completely dependent on alcohol it can be dangerous to quit cold turkey without seeking the help of professionals. If you have made it through these past two days with none of the above, I would say that you are fine.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options

i love my wine. usually 2 servings most nights. When i work i dont drink at all since it does make me a little sleepy. however on really bad nights I found malatonin supplements work well to take the edge off and get me to sleep