Too Big to Run???

Options
2»

Replies

• stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I tried jogging for the first time in July 2010 when I weighed just over 300 lbs. Agree with those who suggested going to a running store for shoes - a professional gait analysis is essential for anyone who plans to run on a regular basis. It did aggravate my knees a little in the beginning, but I found that splitting my sessions between elliptical & the treadmill helped out with that.

I modified a version of C25K so that the progression was more gradual & didn't push myself to complete it within the 9 weeks (or whatever it is). Early this year I decided to sign up for a race & I ran my first 5k this past April...straight through at that! AND over 50 lbs lighter by that time.

I haven't lost a whole lot more since then, but my fitness has improved by leaps & bounds. I'm getting ready to run my first 10k in about 2 weeks. If you want to do it, you can. Just set up a training schedule for yourself you can live with & stick to, & you'll get there. :)
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi Sparky,

What timing this is! I started C25K just today! I hadn't run since college, and that was in 1982 or so when I had to take a Strength training class. I'm at 241 today. With help from an App called Get Running, I did just that. If you'd like to read more about it, I posted a rather detailed bit on my Halloween Challenge forum page. (There were about 4 or 5 different Apps for C25K, all looked good)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/346750-first-challenge-a-place-to-celebrate-and-grizzle

Just so you know, I ran realllllly slow, but it was still running. You alternate running and walking when the ladies voice tells you to...and she's very specific. I'm actually looking forward to Wed when I do it again!

Good luck!
  • uLinx
    uLinx Posts: 148
    Options
    There will probably be no problem for you doing the program, but I would ask the doctor first. It won't be fun knowing that you could be ruining your knees!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I started at 325lbs
    2 weeks from completing program and doing my first 5k. I had to repeat week 1, but have been able to complete each week since.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Oooh I live in Bryan/ College Station and they're have a Half Marathon....? In December and I was thinking about but not sure either. :/
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm a little heavier than you, and am doing it at the moment.

2 years ago, when I was fitter, I was running 10k at your kind of weight.

I think you'll be just fine.