Drinking cups of tea- all day

butterfly3747
butterfly3747 Posts: 29
I love drinking my builders tea, with 2 sugars and milk. Must be using at least 100- 200 calories a day, Cant seem to give up or even decrease my love of tea drinking. Probably a sugar addiction. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    I completely get it...iced, and esp hot tea :drinker:
    Had to force myself to seriously cut down after some serious kidney problems....
    Eat first...that seemed to change the taste and by all means switch to low-cal sweetener (quarter pack)...that'll definitely reduce your sweet tooth....sorry :sad:

Get plenty of water :flowerforyou:
  • Yup! Mine is more of coffee though. Sometimes I like it black, sometimes I like some syrup in it :]

If you dont want to give it up, then dont! 100-200 calories isnt bad. Life is short, enjoy it while you lose weight :]
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Yes I love tea, I'm not sure what builders tea is though? I drink Bushells Australian breakfast. I factor in milk for my tea drinking at breakfast, and I cut out sugar when I started here. It's probably not doing my white teeth any good but I won't give it up.

It's got to be better than coffee right?
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Swap sugar for sweetener and gradually cut down, use skimmed milk and then try and swap at least one or two of your teas with a herbal tea you like. I now start my work day on a tea or coffee and have a peppermint tea after lunch.

Honey is also a good substitute for sugar
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Totally understand I used to easily have 4 cups by mid morning and then 2-3 for the rest of the day, also with 2 sugars and milk. That's roughly 40 cals a cup so upto 280 a day!!! Quite alot especially if you're on a low calorie allowance!

I gradually cut down to 3 cups a day, it was hard as I really was kind of addicted to it!! I hardly drank any water but now drink a minimum of 4 pints a day...I guess with all that water there's not much room left for tea lol!
  • No need to give up tea just switch to green and use honey as your sweetener.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    i find that I like fruity herb or mint tea and got use to it without anything in it. I would gradually cut out the sugar and milk or try one of those teas w/o anything in it. its how I got out of wanting suger or honey with my tea
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,327 Member
    what is builder's tea? (OK I just googled it). I have 1 green tea a day and 1 coffee but sometimes the coffee is a Starbuck's grande latte. I do have a sweet tooth but I have learned to drink my tea and coffee black no sugar. Maybe that is why I don't drink it all day. My problem is what I eat or want to eat with my coffee. So I think you may come out ahead of me on this. Yes sugar is an issue and I am trying to cut back on mine.
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Green tea is good! Bigelow has a pomegranate green tea and that is my faaaavorite :smile: Doesn't need milk or sugar! The mango one is pretty good too.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I was exactly the same. Now i still drink 7-10 cups a day, but instead of full fat milk and 2.5 sugars, i have skimmed milk and 2 sweeteners. Perfect :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Builders tea is what the english call a bog standard cheapish tea.....often drunk by builders!!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    i drink coffee all day, but i don't have sugar. whenever i feel hungry and don't want to eat, i drink (usually coffee) or water or diet pepsi.
  • I often have a cup or two of herbal tea (black, green or white tea) during the day, and have started using agave nectar. Here are the numbers for it: In 1 tbsp serving size: 60 cals, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 16 g of carbs, 16 g of sugar, 0 protein. And, in my 12-oz tea mug, I usually use 2 tsp (2/3 of a serving). I've found it has the same kind of herbal/flowery taste that honey has. I checked the Canadian and American Diabetes Association websites, and from what I gather, neither of them promote or warn against using agave nectar. I think it has a little less sugar in it, but I have also heard that it is processed a little more, and not quite as healthy as it sounds to be. Anyone know for sure?
  • I had the same issue, me and my boyfriend both drink tea all day long, he likes his with whole milk but I have mine with skim. I used to have lots of sugar but reduced it slowly over time, then when I was down to about half a sugar I moved on to sweetner (sweetex). now I just drink it without sugar, either with skim or semi skim depending on what we have at work. still uses a few calories of mine but I've found substituting one or two cups with a green tea has helped keep the number down. (if I can't stand the taste of green tea I cheat and add squash to it!)

Occaisionally I still treat myself to a cup with one brown sugar in it... :bigsmile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Someone suggested substituting honey for sugar. Actually honey has more calories for the same volume so if you're looking at calories I wouldn't do that. Honey has other good qualities but if you're just concerned with the cals, then don't sub it in.

Just gradually cut down - your taste buds will get used to it and you'll be satisfied with less.
This discussion has been closed.