Symptoms of gluten intolerance

Options
I searched through several pages of the archives, I couldn't find any posts explaining what the symptoms of a gluten intolerance is. Could someone please share what they have experienced and how they came to realize their intolerance, do you need to see a doctor or allergist? Thanks.

Replies

• RangerSteve
    Options
    I searched through several pages of the archives, I couldn't find any posts explaining what the symptoms of a gluten intolerance is. Could someone please share what they have experienced and how they came to realize their intolerance, do you need to see a doctor or allergist? Thanks.

You're going to hear a lot of opinions here but if you want a true test of intolerance/allergies to food, you're going to need to get a test done with a doctor. There are a few different methods for it but a common one involves putting small scratches in your back and then dropping in different compounds you might be allergic to in order to see if you react. You should get one done in general to see if you're allergic to all kinds of different things.

If you can't get to a doctor, try cutting gluten out of your diet for 7-14 days and see if you feel any different. The only problem with this is the psychological aspect that could have a huge influence on the results.
  • goatruns
    Options
    The good thing is, if you cut it out of your diet, no harm done. Some people, like me, have what is classified as a sensitivity rather then an intolerance, such as someone with Celiac would have. Mine can be sudden or after eating gluten products for a few days. It includes, bloating, gas, fatigue and just a general crap feeling. Then I start randomly puking. Every day.

Because I don't have Celiac I don't have to be extra cautious, I simply avoid obvious gluten based foods. The plus is this cuts out a LOT of processed food. I will say that cooking with gluten free flours has been a wonder and I have felt much, much better. It's made me branch out and eat healthier foods by default.

So rather then wondering or spending $$$ simply stop eating gluten based foods for at least two weeks and see how you feel. That would be your first step if you go to an allergist anyway as most of it is process of elimination and then more testing if needed. Now I have the occasional pizza and I refuse to pay $4 more for a gluten free crust (for an individual size!). If' I've been away from it and don't eat any after I usually do just fine. But if I get sloppy I sure start to feel craptastical.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I am not celiac or allergic, but I am intolerant.

The symptoms are rather disgusting, and I would rather not post them on here.

Ask your doctor. Mine told me there was no test (I was tested for celiac: negative) for intolerance, and to cut it out. So I did. Voila, better.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My 19 year old son was diagnosed not quite 2 years ago. He had intestinal bouts ranging from diarrhea to constipation with stomach cramps/colon spasms. He was diagnosed with "colic" as a baby, then "megacolon" as a preteen. Finally, we were referred to a gastroenterologist who did a blood test and then EGD procedure to confirm the diagnosis of celiac disease. He will be able to prevent the symptoms and permanent damage to his intestines if he maintains a gluten-free diet. The internet, especially Mayo Clinic site, as well as diet information from the gastroenterologist has helped us become educated about the many sources of gluten and how to avoid it. Good luck to you.
  • amitcham4
    amitcham4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Gluten intolerance can cause many different symptoms and it is different per person. Three people in my family (myself, my grandmother and my father) have various degrees. If I eat gluten I am sluggish, often have digestive problems and bloating and have migraines. I had thyroid problems which tie in with the other auto immune diseases like Celiac's.

My grandmother was never diagnosed but tended to eat just rice and meals that were primarily gluten free because everything else hurt her. I had the blood test down for Celiac's disease in May and was diagnosed...within days of not eating gluten I felt so much better and have been migraine free since then. It is hard not to eat gluten and it is hidden in many foods--i.e. some soy sauces are fine, some are not. Good luck, find a great educated doctor and trust your instincts!
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My daughter and grandson are both sensitive to gluten. Cutting gluten out of her diet stopped the bloating, IBS and other nasty things.. It's amazing what has gluten in it. I'm with everyone else, two weeks without gluten, including foods that have monosodium glutamate, it's in a lot of different foods, especially processed. Just make sure you read labels! Good luck, it is not easy! She told me she dreamed of spaghetti for the 1st month :laugh:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks, what I have done is for the past couple months I have been eating sprouted grain breads. I also have only had almond milk to drink. I bought a loaf of whole wheat bread and that same night my nose was so congested I could hardly breathe. I didn't have any milk, just the bread. It took 2 days for the congestion to clear now I'm fine. The bread is the only change I made. I don't ever get sick or feel crappy, just the congestion. Also, it seems I'm addicted to the bread cuz I can't stop eating it, slice after slice, I don't do that with the sprouted grain bread.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Thanks, what I have done is for the past couple months I have been eating sprouted grain breads. I also have only had almond milk to drink. I bought a loaf of whole wheat bread and that same night my nose was so congested I could hardly breathe. I didn't have any milk, just the bread. It took 2 days for the congestion to clear now I'm fine. The bread is the only change I made. I don't ever get sick or feel crappy, just the congestion. Also, it seems I'm addicted to the bread cuz I can't stop eating it, slice after slice, I don't do that with the sprouted grain bread.

It sounds like you've answered your own question with a bit of n = 1 experimentation. You probably don't need an official diagnosis (although if you really are celiac you would want to be HIGHLY vigilant about avoiding gluten) -- if you feel crappy every time you add non-sprouted wheat back in, then don't eat non-sprouted wheat! You could try the experiment a couple more times to be sure it wasn't something else. Luckily, there is no real reason why anyone NEEDS gluten.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    there is a simple blood test. i am not celiac, but very sensitive. i can eat some gluten for about a week before i experience any major symptoms. its just easier to avoid it though, i feel sooo much better. check out celiac.org or .com and there is a huge list of symptoms
  • goatruns
    Options
    Ah, the migraines! I forgot about those, which is awesome, really. I rarely get them now, I haven't had to chow down on Advil in months. I also switched to Almond milk and rarely eat anything dairy, the helped with the congestion. I did an ice cream experiment and it wasn't pretty.

At the end of the day you don't have to have a 'real' allergy. I recall reading some woman's blog and she was ranting about how these 'gluten intolerant people' weren't 'real' because they didn't have Celiac like she did. I was like dude, I'd be happy for them. I have a friend with Celiac and it's tough for her, really tough.

Eat what makes you feel good. For me, after throwing up everyday for eleven years, no lie, and countless tests, having a simple 'duh' moment was priceless.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I think that you'll find this site very helpful: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319

My husband is going through the testing now. Skin testing was not required but blood tests were done and an endoscopy will be done at least twice to determine if he does have Celiac's disease.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Symptoms vary widely, as others have mentioned. Mine are extreme abdominal bloating, bloody diahrrea, stomach cramps and spasms. I was diagnosed by my doctor after blood tests. I had symptoms for over 20 years. A week without gluten took them all away. Too bad I spent 20 years of misdiagnoses along the way!
  • imjustlisa
    imjustlisa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My 19 year old son was diagnosed not quite 2 years ago. He had intestinal bouts ranging from diarrhea to constipation with stomach cramps/colon spasms. He was diagnosed with "colic" as a baby, then "megacolon" as a preteen. Finally, we were referred to a gastroenterologist who did a blood test and then EGD procedure to confirm the diagnosis of celiac disease. He will be able to prevent the symptoms and permanent damage to his intestines if he maintains a gluten-free diet. The internet, especially Mayo Clinic site, as well as diet information from the gastroenterologist has helped us become educated about the many sources of gluten and how to avoid it. Good luck to you.
    this sounds like my sons story as well! Colic as a baby, eating problems his entire life, doctors diagnosing with irritable bowel syndrome. Finally diagnosed at 15.
  • rllh5403
    Options
    Believe me, I understand. I couldn't find what I was looking for either. I saw a GI Dr. today and he is going to do an endosopy to determine if I am gluten intolorent. Hope this helps.
  • jodi41086
    Options
    bump!! Helpful topic!! thanks yall