Question: Strength training

Options
So I have a fairly intense workout including cardio and circuit training. But when I enter my strength training on the exercise page, it doesn't calculate calories burned. Should I be upping my calories to compensate for the calroies burned with weight lifting?

Replies

• sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    So I have a fairly intense workout including cardio and circuit training. But when I enter my strength training on the exercise page, it doesn't calculate calories burned. Should I be upping my calories to compensate for the calroies burned with weight lifting?
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    That is irritating isn't it? Just log your strength training in under cardio.
  • heathero24
    Options
    I just started working out again and let me tell you... I sweat when im doing weights and circuits soooo i totally think they should give us a little credit. If im that sore from it i deserve a little snack (at least thats what i tell myself HA):laugh:
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Soup Nazi: Good idea! I'm going to do that.

Heather: oh yeah I sweat a lot too with weights. I try to always eat some carbs + protein very soon after working out otherwise I get really irritated with everything around me LOL
  • cgann
    cgann Posts: 2
    Options
    Go to the Exercise entry page, click on Strength Training, search for "weight lifting". An entry should come up that says "Strength Training (Weight lifting.....). Once you click on the only available entry, a dialog should come up on the right side of the screen that will allow you to enter the amount of time spent strength training and it will automatically determine the # of calories burned.

If you are getting a good sweat going through strength training, I would definitely enter some amount of calories burned. I usually work out 60 minutes and it tells me I lose 200 calories during that time. However, I'm lifting heavy weights and not too worried about burning any calories. A more vigorous, toning type of routine would probably burn a lot more calories. However, you could always negate the effects of the strength training and be on the safe side of your calorie count (possibly lose more than expected....if so desired)

Good Luck.
  • suprjewels
    Options
    Go to the Exercise entry page, click on Strength Training, search for "weight lifting". An entry should come up that says "Strength Training (Weight lifting.....). Once you click on the only available entry, a dialog should come up on the right side of the screen that will allow you to enter the amount of time spent strength training and it will automatically determine the # of calories burned.

If you are getting a good sweat going through strength training, I would definitely enter some amount of calories burned. I usually work out 60 minutes and it tells me I lose 200 calories during that time. However, I'm lifting heavy weights and not too worried about burning any calories. A more vigorous, toning type of routine would probably burn a lot more calories. However, you could always negate the effects of the strength training and be on the safe side of your calorie count (possibly lose more than expected....if so desired)

Good Luck.
    Thank you! Thank you! thank you!:flowerforyou:
    Entering it under cardio has never worked. The system just moves it back to strength for me. I haven't been losing weight for 3 weeks. I knew it was not eating my exercise calories "starvation mode" But, I didn't know how many calories I was burning through my over an hour of strength training I do 6 days a week. This will help so much. I looked for weight training/lifting under cardio and couldn't find it. You have been so helpful to me. Again, thank you!!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Are you wearing a HRM?

I wear one for my whole workout and just roll it all in to my cardio. Most of the calories burned are usually from the cardio piece anyways, but I still want those extra 50 calories!
  • cgann
    cgann Posts: 2
    Options
    The HRM would probably be a good idea. I don't use one.

I'm just a fit 35 year old guy who is only trying to lose the 6 or 7 lbs gained over the holidays. The last time I weighed, I was at 196 lbs. My goal is 185 lbs (where I was before the holidays).

I usually weight lift (60 min) 2 days/week and run for 3 days/week (30 min each day).

If I were a person who was watching my weight down to the last calorie of the day, I would be very careful when using the website for determining the # of calories burned through strength training. Routines can vary so much from men to women, young or old, fit or unfit. A HRM that would give you the # of calories burned would otherwise provide some piece of mind, if anyone is that serious about it.