New in New Orleans

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm Veronica, I'm 23, and I live in New Orleans. I've been here for about 6 years and it has not been kind to my figure. I was nowhere near skinny before, but I've gained a whole bunch of weight since I moved here. Almost every event here revolves around food--and the food is fantastic, but terribly unhealthy.

I've been on MFP for about 2 weeks and I've lost 4 pounds, which leaves 99 to go! I love being able to easily keep track of what I eat. I do yoga once a week and am starting Turbo Jam tomorrow. I'm a classical singer, and my main goal is to get strong and healthy so I can have a long, successful career doing what I love.

Lurking on the forums has been great for my motivation, but I'd love to have some friends who will encourage me and help me along the way.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    hey veronica!

i love the city new orleans and try to visit once a year. it is an amazing city, but i understand that it can be hard on anyone's figure. the beignets, the jambalaya, the gumbo, and not to mention the alcohol. mmmm hurricanes and hand grenades.

i'm planning on finding a triathlon in new orleans as an excuse to go.

btw, if you haven't found the Yo Mama's resturant yet, look for it. its on st peters between bourbon and royal. try the peanut butter burger. trust me.

feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've lived on the Northshore for a little over a year, and I definitely know what you mean. I've managed not to gain weight since moving here, but even with added exercise, I've only been maintaining until I joined MFP about 3 weeks ago. Everything is about food, and when people visit they want two things - to eat and to drink. My waistline cringes! Here's hoping that MFP can keep us on the straight and narrow path of health in a town that definitely doesn't follow that path! :)
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision. I have waited until i am 44 and now have over 250 lbs. to lose. I'll do it though and so will you.
    I do not sing professionally now but spent many years of lead vocals in bands and groups. ( rock and country not classical) but music is music as far as I'm concerned.
    Add me if you like. I would love to have more friends to help keep me motivated.
    Tif:wink:
  • vsharkey
    vsharkey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I'm excited to get healthier along with you.