am I pushing myself to hard with my new goal?

Options
I've set a new goal, I want to be down to 250lbs by Jan 1 2012... Am I setting my sights too high? I mean I'm going to take it day by day. but, I figured its an even number. and It gives me 103 days to lose about 70 lbs. Please tell me if I'm crazy for thinking I can do this..

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    that seems very ambitious..1-2 pounds a week is considered healthy..but good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It might be too aggressive, but you're going to lose what you can lose, right? There's no real harm in trying. Just be aware of one thing: the faster you lose weight, the more you'll need to worry about loose, "leftover" skin. Genetics and age also play a part in that, but losing slowly and steadily (1-2 pounds per week) is the best way to keep your skin as firm as possible.

ETA: With a lot of weight to lose, you'll probably lose much faster than that to start, which isn't something to worry about. It's normal as a lot of it will be water weight.
  • DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options
    How I love your motivation but I agree that 70lbs in just over 3 months is WAY too much...First month you might get 20 but then the safest will be about 8-10/month. You have to go steady and slow which has been shown time and time again the best way to keep it off. Don't push too hard but set realistic goals for yourself and get out there are go. Adopt a healthy lifestyle and everything seems to follow. Good luck to you
  • gagirl89
    gagirl89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yea, i'm going to be happy with whatever I lose. I just figured it'd be an even number to work towards.
  • cinnachic
    Options
    Good luck , be careful with that much weight off in a short time, ive been sticking to around 1200-1400 calories with a ahour of workouts and down 30pds in 6weeks, but now its going to be a lot slower, the bigger you are the quickest it comes off the first 20,safely should be about 8to 10pds a month.
  • gagirl89
    gagirl89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    oh, and i don't plan on doing some crazy diet either. just cutting out fast food and pre packaged food, and since i only drink about 1 soda a week, i'm just going to give that up completely. i don't need it, so why waste the calories:)
  • dclassi1
    Options
    I have an 80 pound overall goal. What helped me was to break this goal down into increments. I began this journey weighing 242.5 pounds the most I've ever weighed in my life...that was 6 months ago; and a lot of work on my part.
    I go to the gym now religiously...having a great class with supportive instructors has helped me tremendously.
    Yes, I'm a Zumba, Just Dance, and now a Body Pump girl.
    I also walk at least four times each week.

242.5 pounds; Week one, I tried to get rid of 3.0 pounds. And did it!
    239.5 pounds; Week two, I set a goal of 5.5 pounds that took me a two weeks to accomplish.

The point is, as you succeed in the smaller goals, you're also making your way towards the larger goal.

Please let me know, if I can help in anyway!:flowerforyou:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think its an ok goal - its not a bad thing to push yourself hard and it sounds liek you have a good attitude about it. It seems like for people who are significantly overweight you can lose the first chunk very quickly. and I read that 3lbs/week was quite ok if you were very obese - 2lbs from diet and 1lb from exercise burn was recommended. And then of course that initial 15-20 lbs you'll drop the first month. So it might be doable - just keep your good attitude.