Training for mini tri

Options
I want to do a mini tri, I have never done any marathons before so I am wondering how to start. I am strong at biking but am a fairly weak swimmer and runner.

Replies

• aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    For running, train for a 5k. Do the "couch to 5k program" it's awesome and work. Swimming...you just need to google swimming plans for sprint triathlons. That will help you. Also, "beginnertriathlete" has a lot of information on putting together workouts that incorporate all 3 sports.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to train for one (a sprint distance tri....not sure if that's what you mean by mini). I am a weak swimmer also. A friend of mine is going to teach me a proper stroke once I am ready. I've been running and cycling, but haven't successfully done both on the same day yet. Fortunately, the event I am training for is next August figuring I'll give myself plenty of training time and let the water warm up lol.

I've been looking at training plans on beginnertriathlete.com but haven't nailed down which course I am going to follow. Best of luck! For me, it's a pretty big step!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Check this out:

http://www.rufusracing.com/summer-roundup-training.html

This training plan will prepare you for a Sprint Triathlon - this particular one is 500m swim, 15.6 mile bike, and 5K run. This is the plan I will be using in April to train for Rufus Racing's Summer Roundup Tri next June.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is a mini tri the same as a sprint tri?

Focus on training for the swim... if you get in trouble (cramp, bonk, whatever) during the bike or run you can stop and walk it off. If you get in trouble during the swim, its a lot harder to ease up so you ca recover a bit.

The are a bunch of free training programs out there if you want something more structured, otherwise you can train for the 3 legs independantly, then start putting them together once you feel good about then singularly.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm good friends with the owner/founder of Rufus Racing so I trust this plan will work, plus, I've known many people who have followed this plan and have been very successful. Good luck!
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My YMCA previously offered a swim training program called "Total Immersion." Rather than swimming harder it focused on swimming efficiently. It takes you back to fundamentals to ensure that you are doing them correctly, then rebuilds your technique a skill at a time. Prior to the participating in the program, I basically had to rest every 25 yards. Now, I'm swimming a mile non-stop in about 36 minutes, so I'm a big believer in what that type of program has to offer. It's a great form of exercise that doesn't tear up your joints.

As for biking, when I did my first sprint tri this last summer, I thought I would be ok on the cycling with the minimal bike training that I did. What I realized was that I should have done more hill training, of which I did almost none. I'm doing a mini tri on Oct 2nd and I really need to get some more bike time in for that.

For the running, don't try to go too far too fast or you will risk injury that will throw off everything. Be good to those joints.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your event.

Stephen
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Focus on training for the swim... if you get in trouble (cramp, bonk, whatever) during the bike or run you can stop and walk it off. If you get in trouble during the swim, its a lot harder to ease up so you ca recover a bit.

Never even thought of that! Great advice, thank you!
  • jagspal
    Options
    Great words of wisdom, looking forward to pushing forward!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    use trifind.com to find triathlons in your area, and beginnertriathlete.com to find free workout regiments. also, check out the book "guide to your first triathlon" for a good read about nutrition, cycling, running, and swimming for beginners.

i'm training for my first tri too. i'm doing a sprint tri in june on long island. if you can swim bike and run for about 30 minutes each, you're almost there!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    sorry, the book is "your first triathlong" by joe friel. the link is here: http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316400179&sr=8-1
  • drdenise
    drdenise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Definitely focus on swimming. Look up swimming drills to help with efficiency of the swim. You can swim laps forever and it will not prepare you for open water swimming in a triathlon. There are alot of websites that help with programs, and even reasonably priced programs. Get a coach if you can. For biking and running, interval drills help dramatically. And remember, with the run, speed will come once you are able to get some distance. Practice the transition also. The swim to bike is an easy transition (I was never so happy to get out of the water and onto my bike!), but the bike to the run is more difficult. Good luck!!