IS IT JUST ME?

2»

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    it's not just you. I'm struggling to put into words what I want to say on the topic, so I'll leave it there for now ....
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    People of one mindset do not own this site.

Plenty of people eat massively under and may well have an eating disorder. There are probably people who eat massively over and they may well also have an eating disorder. People with these problems are likely to congratulate other people on the same behaviours because, when you're in that twisted, horrible place, it DOES seem like a good thing. Competitiveness is huge in eating disorders - you know you're not thinking rationally but you think, say and believe this destructive stuff anyway.

Regardless, none of it has to be your business unless you make it so. Live and let live. Don't have us as your friends or don't comment. Personally, I can't think of anything more boring than reading a list of what someone else ate today anyway!
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    And another one to file under "stuff which does not affect me"...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    first off i do not want to be rude or offend anyone, but to me the purpose of this website is to help educae, learn and grow. It helps you to understand your body and track what your body needs. It is a guidline that I personally use to get into shape and to create a healthier lifestyle. I do not consider this a diet but a new way of living that i can sustain for a lifetime that keeps me energized, healthy and helps me lose these last few pounds. now with that said i see alot of people who consume an alarmingly low number of calories on a daily basis. I am usually always under my calories but i always net at least 1200 calories. I see people who are only eating 500-800 calories a day. Now i know there are days when you are not hungry, your sad, your sick, or whatever but i see people who are this low on a daily basis. THEN, when they complete their food diary for the day, it comes up saying so and so was under their calories for the day and then people congratulate them!!! i just do not get it. Why would you congratulate someone for being so under their calories it is not only unhealthy but could be dentramental to that persons health. Am i the only one that thinks this is crazy??!!!

The majority of people who comment on diaries like that dont look at the diary first - or i hope they dont anyway!

I have seen that before, and when i looked at the diary the person had had a McDonalds Muffin for breakfast and pizza for tea, and had loads of wtgs cos it was under her calorie goal.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    That's why I tend not to comment on the diaries I can't see. Just because it says they are under doesn't necessarily mean they have been 'healthy'.
    I like to read diaries, not studiously, but it helps me come up with ideas or I come across food stuffs I've not considered before. If you are a friend to someone, be a friend. In the real world, if a friend of mine was eating too low I would subtly raise it. that's what friends are for, right?
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Good point and I agree. I am guilty of congratulating someone who is under because I know how hard it is to stick to a calorie goal and I don't usually look at their diaries. When I am under it is usually because I don't add back my exercise calories. I am not really sure how many calories I burned because I think the machines are just using averages. So if I add back those calories I am in danger of exceeding my allotment. I am irritated by all the magazines that start the " have a hot body by summer" or "wear a bikini in 6 weeks"articles that start hitting the newstands in Jan. Do they really think we are all that shallow?? The point of all of this hard work--as you correctly pointed out--is good health. Slainte! ( good health) to us all.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    i am not here to pass judgments. i just feel bad for some of these people and when people says congrats or way to go to unhealthy eating they may think that it is a good thing and continue this cycle. I have battled eating disorders and i try to eat most of my calories and eat healthy. i know there are some exceptions to eating so low, but i look at peoples diaries before i comment. i also like to look at others diaries to get ideas for foods and see how well i am eating compared to others as i have hit a plataue so i look at others who are losing weight.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Agreed. Unless I can see the person's diary, I do not congratulate someone for being under. (It is possible that the person was under but close enough to their calorie goals that being under is not a big deal...) It's a fundamental problem though with this website. When someone closes their diary for the day and the website automatically announces if the person was under goal, then it makes it sound like a good thing. I don't think this site should announce whether or not someone was under goal since it can promote unhealthy eating habits...but that's just me, as someone who suffers from disordered eating tendencies.

I don't give unsolicited advice on here...but I do find it troublesome that there are some people on this site (at least one with whom I am "friends") who quite obviously have an eating disorder. They post about their disordered eating and people actually congratulate them. I struggle with what to do about that...but for now I try not to engage...