Weight Loss with PCOS

Options
I was diagnosed within the past two weeks, but I suspected it way before then. I never want children so the fertility isn't an issues, but the general feeling crappy, acne, hair, etc is killing me.

What's the best way to loose weight as a cyster? It's not understood very well here. In fact 2 of the doctors had never heard of it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I can't seem to loose more than 5lbs without hitting a plateau and I really want to cry.

Replies

• lindseywilson90
    Options
    You definitely need to get a doctor who knows what the hell we're going through and a nutritionist/dietician who can walk you through foods that help and hurt you when trying to lose weight with PCOS. Its a constant battle. It's not like the pounds just melt off, you really have to work at it. As if losing weight wasn't hard enough, right?!

Good luck!
  • spunkytash
    Options
    Hi

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16yrs old. Now 30 so have had plenty of 'adventures' with this.
    Weightwise, up til I had my oldest daughter at 24, I was a total gym bunny and kept a lot of the weight at bay easily. Wasn't til I after having my daughter did I realise that the weight was going to be harder than I thought.
    I find I too can lose up to 5kgs easily but then plateau. I have to kickstart again and really concentrate on what is going in and really up my exercise.
    I am currently trying to get back into exercise and sports since having another daughter 2yrs ago. I have lost 10kg in the last yr but have again plateau'd so am gearing up for a kick up my bum.

Good Luck
    eta, I'm also on some good meds at the moment. And sometimes a contraceptive pill can help with side effects.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the plateau every 5 lbs. That's me. Lose 5 lbs, plateau. Not just a 1-3 week plateau either, they can last for months. I've always had PCOS. I started having periods very early in life and they were always super duper heavy with giant clots, lasting 2-5 weeks then 21 days later another 2 week marathon of bleeding. I was put on birth control pills at age 11 to help with the issue, but then on the pill I tend to gain weight. I've always had acne. Eating low carb has helped the acne go away as well as shed 30 lbs so far. Now, I can't have the pill as my new doctor told me that estrogen isn't good for people who have migraines that affect their vision. I hear estrogen supplements in general are carcinogenic from a few of my researcher friends. I've been off of the pill for a week now, getting Implanon implant (estrogen free) next week. Hopefully this will help me lose more weight.

Patience is the key. Low carb has worked for me. On plateaus I've found it helps if I gradually raise my carb levels up over 2 weeks, then go low carb for 3. Eating 1800 calories one day and 1000 the next work for me too.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i have this as well. and bounce around as far as weight is concerned, but as long as I'm active, pay attention to what I eat then it's all good. I"m ok with my curves and have a good proportion about myself. Its more about "How you feel" then "how you look." I know for most people "appearance" is everything. But I know I have friends and family that love me and only want whats best for me.

The best thing to have is a good support system! Keep at it!
  • Thaliamf
    Thaliamf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello!

With PCOS there is a lot of blood sugar changes that make it difficult to lose weight. I work with this with my patients. You should look for a naturopathic doctor in your area to help you if you run into obstacles.
  • mikoperez
    Options
    The first thing you have to do is get over the "it's not fair" syndrome. I say that because believe me it took me years to not let this hormonal imbalance give me excuses of why it is so hard. Yes, you have to work much hard than any one else. Yes, you have to find an inner self-confidence to deal with the acne and the hair loss. Yes, it is not fair. But it is what it is and you can't let that stop you. Key #1 - watch your refined processed carbs. PCOS is basically a pre-diabetic state. Eat like a diabetic balancing protein and carbs. Some people find eating foods low on the GI index scale to be most helpful. That is what my PCOS nutritionalist taught me initially. You can google low GI foods and there are all kinds of free listings and table son the internet. Key #2 - find a doctor who can work with you and knows about PCOS a.k.a Metabolic Syndrome. Byetta and Metformin will help your body process the glucose effectively so you aren't in an insulin overload state. Insulin makes your body hold onto fat for dear life. If you get the right medication on board, then your body can use the glucose you have circulating in your body effectively and thereby decrease your cravings, and let your exercise burn the fat. Some GYN's actual use birth control pills to help with the irregularity of your menstrual cycle but I never liked using it.

On a side note - get to a dermatologist. They can give you antibiotics to take to keep your acne under control. And if you have hair loss, be gentle with the hair products you are using. Go organic for hair dyes and shampoos, they are more gentle on the hair and scalp.