water weight?!

Options
I have heard alot about it and I am curious what exactly it is and everything. How do you get it? and how do you get rid of it? thanks alot. I sorta know what it is but not exactly (sorry if I seem like a goober..lol):embarassed:

Replies

• tonimckinney924
    tonimckinney924 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have heard alot about it and I am curious what exactly it is and everything. How do you get it? and how do you get rid of it? thanks alot. I sorta know what it is but not exactly (sorry if I seem like a goober..lol):embarassed:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Water weight is gained when you eat salty things in excess of the RDA (recommended daily allowance). Certain amounts of salt are necessary for good health, but too much is bad, particularly when and if you don't get enough water.

When there isn't enough water in your body, and you eat salty things, the salt acts as a wick for any moisture in your body, so resulting in water retention, which adds pounds to the scale.
    Each cup of water your body holds onto is 4 oz, so 8 cups of water is 32 oz, which is a half a lb.
    Watch the salt, is all.

On a upbeat note, water retention may show on the scale, but you have to have a ton of water retention for it to show on the tape measure. That's why we repeat the advice of not being a slave to the scale.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    high sodium foods do cause it, but so do hormones- like when you get your period or are pregnant.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Drink more water! Seems silly, but you are retaining water because you are eating too much salt (unless its hormones). So, if you drink MORE you will flush out the salt and that water weight! So drink up! :drinker: