Weight Watchers Now Pointless?

2»

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member

I did really well with WW, wouldn't say a bad thing about them. But why pay if you don't have to?

exactly
  • I'm a huge believer in accountability. My take on it is that if you had to go to weigh in once a week or once a month and if money wasn't an issue I would keep WW's because having to go weigh in in front of someone keeps you motivated to lose weight. If you're not weighing in at WW's then I say dump it too.

Have a good burn today :smile:
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    I switched from WW to MFP about 10 weeks ago, and did continue to lose weight with MFP alone... but I missed WW anyway and ended up re-joining last week.

I think some people are just meant for WW, and I'm one of them. :bigsmile: I love both WW and MFP, but I definately missed WW enough to go back.
  • I'm just now getting back on track with MFP, but when I first discovered it, yes I did decide that WW was kind of pointless. I feel that the MFP database is SO much better than WW. I find the tracker easier to use, and best of all, it's FREE!

I tried the Points Plus plan for months, and just couldn't make it work. Once I got the hang of MFP, I cancelled my WW membership.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    IMHO, WW offers a couple things that MFP doesn't:.

1) Meetings and weigh-ins for meeting members. (Of course, you could set those up for free if you were motivated).

2) Since you have to pay to do WW, you might be more motivated to stick with the program so that you can stop paying. (But that can be bad if it makes you lose weight too fast).

3) WW has some supervision, so they might catch unrealistic goals or an eating disorder.

4) WW has only a couple plans and trained counselors, as opposed to the wild west of MFP, where you have atkins people, paleo people, slow losers, fast losers, etc. all mixing it up.

If someone is getting something out of WW, I wouldn't tell them to quit.

With all that said, all of the various points systems are pretty close to calories, so I personally don't see the point in paying for WW online or meetings while I am also doing MFP.

^^this is very well thought out. I lost weight with WW 10 years ago (old points)... tried the new points on my own but found I was spending more time trying to figure out whether the food I wanted to eat was "worth" the points and time lost in the grocery store trying to figure out approximate points of things I wanted to "create" myself... so I would end up buying WW foods or other products that had WW points listed right on the package... which means a TON of processed foods...

After being here for a month or so I took a couple of my days and figured out the OLD points and the NEW points for those days and they were so close (old points) and way off (NEW points) that I decided that I prefer to NOT PAY for WW.

Another factor in my decision is that I GAINED BACK all the weight (90%) that I had lost... so I obviously didn't create a lifestyle in my 8 months with WW. I need this to be a lifetime change... and I need this to be something that I CAN PLEDGE my life to.

However you decide to do it, make sure it's right for you.
  • Thank you everyone for your information.

I just do weight watchers online and don’t go to meetings. The meetings don’t work for me as they only give me information I already know. And I don’t need the fear of a weekly weight to motivate me, as I’m being sponsored to drop 3 dress sizes by the end of the year (see profile for more info) so am already really motivated to stick with this. I’ve had £500 worth of sponsorship which has been paid directly to the charity. All my friends, family, co-workers and some key suppliers know about what I’m doing so I have the risk of public shame if I don’t do it.

I was just using weight watchers as a way of monitoring what I’m eating. I think MFP works better for that, as it makes me think about having a more healthy relationship with food.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    And I don’t need the fear of a weekly weight to motivate me, as I’m being sponsored to drop 3 dress sizes by the end of the year (see profile for more info) so am already really motivated to stick with this. I’ve had £500 worth of sponsorship which has been paid directly to the charity. All my friends, family, co-workers and some key suppliers know about what I’m doing so I have the risk of public shame if I don’t do it.

WOW...this is impressive. Sorry about your sister, that's very sad to lose a young family member, but kudos to you for getting out there and doing something great for the cause! Best of luck to you in this challenge, I'm sure you'll achieve it!
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Yup, jumped ship as soon as I found this place:laugh: I only did the online version, too and for me, with a Droid, I liked having a functioning application at my fingertips (they might have a better one now?) and the fact that it was FREE. Also, the community feels just like that here, I didn't feel it as much there.

I've lost at a slower rate here, but that's my own doing, and I like it better that way. Plus, counting calories is easier than trying to do math problems at each meal :wink: