5k training buddies, what would you do?

Options
Ok, so you and a friend have been training together for first 5k. Let's say your progress has been a little beyond your buddies. When it comes race time, are you going to stick with your buddy along the way, or go for it all the way possibly leaving buddy behind? I personally feel fine with shaking hands at the starting line and going for it to the best of my current ability and if that means not seeing each other till the finish line, then that's ok. What do you folks think?

Replies

• AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Finishing the race will be your accomplishment alone, and I think you're totally allowed to go your separate ways during the race. Especially since you're training seemed more effective than your friend's. If you two have consistently trained together, then it might be difficult to separate and might cause hard feelings, but I'm assuming you haven't been training together since you seem to have different athletic abilities at this point.

Enjoy the race separately - celebrate together!
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I think it would be OK to go all out and do your best. There is no reason to stick together in an individual race. If you were doing an obstacle race then I could see sticking together.. You should really discuss it with your friend, if your experienced and its your friends first race then I could also see sticking with your friend to help motivate them.
  • dieselbugparrot
    Options
    My bf has been training with me. From the beginning, even tho I started before him, his progression has been faster than mine. So when we do our warm up walk we do that together but as soon as 5 min is up, he goes his pace and go mine(slower than his). Then we meet back up after we are done with our run. It wouldn't be fair if I tried to hold him back.

Be honest with your friend and them that you want to see how fast you do it and I'll meet up with you after we cross the finish line.
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options

........Enjoy the race separately - celebrate together!

Well put! I agree 100%. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a little selfish. BTW, anyone short on "friends" feel free to add me.

Take good care.
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options