Complusions

Options
When I would eat compulsively, it was similar to taking nitrous oxide at my dentist. Like a heavy anesthesia, the food comforted me and gave me an extraordinary sense of well-being. It was a short-term cure for what was bothering me, and it took its toll. Any resemblance to reality while in the fog of my compulsive eating was purely coincidental. While there were times in my life I needed anesthesia, I used it day in and day out to block emotional pain, it became only a burden.

Compulsion was my self-will gone berserk! I tried to think of it as the opposite of effortless abstinence. I knew the two were miles and miles of varying experiences, but for me there was never moderation ... only the two extremes! It has taken me a long time and a lot of self searching to trust myself fully and begin to eat in moderation. I had to learn to recognize and be aware of the dangers of that first compulsive bite. I know that this cunning creature is always waiting to pounce, but I am doing this one day at a time!

Replies

• Amysgetnfit
    Options
    Keep up the good work on your long journey it's never easy but it's never easy to get any places worth going to
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good for you.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's exactly what it is, a burden! Good words.