All Hail the Tape Measure!

Options
I've been a little discouraged that the scale hasn't moved in two weeks, but I recognize that while I'm doing the 30 Day Shred that I'm building muscle and that a lot of people don't see the pounds go down until Week 3. The only things that are really important to me are that I get smaller/tighter, that I get more fit, and that I get my digestive problems in check. I will not be a slave to a battery operated machine from Target. So, this morning I jumped off the scale the second I saw that I was at the same weight, grabbed my tape measure and found reassurance! I am a classic apple shape, so I initially measured three places on my belly, my chest and hips. In one week of 30 DS and 2 weeks of gluten free, I lost:

.25" at my natural waist (right below ribs--my family is cursed with super high waists!
.75" at my belly button
1.75" at two inches below the belly button, aka, the muffin top--no joke, I measured a couple of times!
1" at the hips
1" at the chest

Hallelujah! I'm so motivated to keep going thanks to the tape measure!

And as it turns out, I haven't had any belly flareups since I made my diet changes. I know that my diet is pretty clean, balanced, and lean, so I'm not going to panic and make any rash adjustments. Just going to keep myself honest with logging it in, and hang in there. No doubt someday the scale will catch up--I'm just going to keep trusting in the process!

Good luck to all you Shredders out there!

Replies

• highbridgemom
    Options
    That's amazing results in such a short time :) I'm sure you will see the scale move, just focus on clothes fitting better. Inches lost. Don't worry about that silly ol scale!

Good job :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    That's so true, measurements are whats more important than scale. Great job!!!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    good work i have also been through this and i love my tape measure :)
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post as I was feeling a little dispondent! I only lost 1lb last week (my second week) but that said I lost a total of 4.5 inches since starting. I am also trying a change in diet to try and control my colitis and I have to say that after two weeks of low fat food and a much improved condition, yesterday's roast beef dinner at a friends home upset things this morning! Lesson learnt!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been a little discouraged that the scale hasn't moved in two weeks, but I recognize that while I'm doing the 30 Day Shred that I'm building muscle and that a lot of people don't see the pounds go down until Week 3. The only things that are really important to me are that I get smaller/tighter, that I get more fit, and that I get my digestive problems in check. I will not be a slave to a battery operated machine from Target. So, this morning I jumped off the scale the second I saw that I was at the same weight, grabbed my tape measure and found reassurance! I am a classic apple shape, so I initially measured three places on my belly, my chest and hips. In one week of 30 DS and 2 weeks of gluten free, I lost:

.25" at my natural waist (right below ribs--my family is cursed with super high waists!
    .75" at my belly button
    1.75" at two inches below the belly button, aka, the muffin top--no joke, I measured a couple of times!
    1" at the hips
    1" at the chest

Hallelujah! I'm so motivated to keep going thanks to the tape measure!

And as it turns out, I haven't had any belly flareups since I made my diet changes. I know that my diet is pretty clean, balanced, and lean, so I'm not going to panic and make any rash adjustments. Just going to keep myself honest with logging it in, and hang in there. No doubt someday the scale will catch up--I'm just going to keep trusting in the process!

Good luck to all you Shredders out there!

This was the reason for my total loss of motivation... I to was religiously doing the 30DS, actually started to enjoy it. But when I weighed myself there was no change at all, not even a pound!! And I was stupid enough to not take any measurements when I started to just thought it was all a waste of time and GAVE UP!! The worst thing I ever did as i realise now I was actually doing really well, my clothes were becoming loser and people were even noticing the difference in me. It just goes to show that the scales are NOT your friend... the tape measure definitely is though!!

I am re-starting 30DS tonight, i'm here looking for inspiration but I know that as soon as i start it I will enjoy it, as I did before and I CAN do it!!! We all can, as long as we try hard! Good luck x
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just posted how frustrated I was with my scale, it also won't move, but body fat percentage is down 5%. I think I've got to get myself a tape measure and dump the scale. Thank you for the encouragement, now I don't feel so bad
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Totally with ya there! Congrats to you! I was in the same boat... the last couple weeks the scale hasn't been friendly, but in all total I've lost 10 lbs in 1-1/2 months--but more importantly my waist has steadily gone from 37" to 33.5 inches, even during scale increases. I only measured because MFP had that option to fill out, so I thought "why not?". So glad I did!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I am re-starting 30DS tonight, i'm here looking for inspiration but I know that as soon as i start it I will enjoy it, as I did before and I CAN do it!!! We all can, as long as we try hard! Good luck x

Heck ya, you can do it!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Thank you for this post as I was feeling a little dispondent! I only lost 1lb last week (my second week) but that said I lost a total of 4.5 inches since starting. I am also trying a change in diet to try and control my colitis and I have to say that after two weeks of low fat food and a much improved condition, yesterday's roast beef dinner at a friends home upset things this morning! Lesson learnt!

Inches are where it's at! I think we all focus on the numbers on the scale so much that it's easy to lose sight on what the end goal is: to be healthy and look good. If GI bloat is making me look bad, then I'm happy to see it go even if it isn't "fat." :smile: Keep at it!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Totally with ya there! Congrats to you! I was in the same boat... the last couple weeks the scale hasn't been friendly, but in all total I've lost 10 lbs in 1-1/2 months--but more importantly my waist has steadily gone from 37" to 33.5 inches, even during scale increases. I only measured because MFP had that option to fill out, so I thought "why not?". So glad I did!

Holy cow! 37" to 33.5 is awesome!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Think I will take some new measurements, that might give me the boost I need!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!