Hot Yoga for a Newbie?

Options
Hi!

I bought a Groupon for unlimited Hot Yoga classes for a month and I'm excited to get started! A few years ago I was a regular in the Yoga studio, but since then I haven't been into it much. The HOT version is totally new to me, so I just a have a few concerns. Can anyone who's tried it offer some advice?

1. Can I overdo it? Is it okay to go everyday or should I take breaks?
2. Is it totally exhausting/draining? or can I do it in addition to a regular workout routine (cardio and weights)?

Also, I'm new to the site, so please add me for support :happy:

Replies

• SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    hi
    I've done hot yoga quite a few times and love it!
    Make sure you're well hydrated before and during the class. You'll be doing tons of sweating. Dress really light and take a face towel with you because you'll need it!
    Whether or not you'll overdo it if you go every day depends on your present fitness level. I was too sore after my first class to go again the next day (and I've never done consecutive days anyways because of time constraints) but if you feel ok then there's no harm in trying. If you're ever feeling dizzy or nauseous during a class, just go down on the mat and rest. It hasn't happened to me but apparently some newbies get overwhelmed the first few times. There's nothing wrong with taking a break, everyone goes at their own pace - it's not a competition. :) You can still do your other workouts, just listen to your body.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    You're going to love it! Be sure to hydrate yourself well before and after. Might be smart to drink some coconut water after to replenish the electrolytes you lost while sweating so much. The potassium in coconut water will also help with any muscle soreness. As for doing it a few days in a row, see how your body feels! You might feel fine, or you might be sore and tired. Just see how you feel!