Help! Ripping Calves!

Options
Hey all, just a little advise needed.

I am really getting into my running but my calf muscles seem to want to rip from my legs.

I do wear high heels a lot (4-5 inch heels daily) and I am worried that my muscles have contracted so much that now it hurts when my feet are flat.

I have tried to stretch the muscles but that seems to make it worse!

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Cheers
Lizzie

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Keep stretching! Every day, when you wake up and when you go to bed at least!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have great calves (not trying to show off), but I get them from taking the stairs...on my tip toes!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Your calf muscles probably have shortened. Stretching will help some, but I would suggest you try wearing lower heels for awhile. That will be provide a longer period of time with a more gentle stretch compared to going right into flats. Do stretching exercises as well, but give it time. Good luck!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I ruptured my Achilles last year, and my physical therapist told me that we (people who wear heels- mine typically 3") have to be really careful going from heels to tennis shoes because of how our muscles and tendons get used to being in a certain shape/tension. Same goes for people who never wear heels and then throw on a pair and try to go all out. So, definitely stretch- do calf raises (just up and down on your toes), get on a stair backwards and go below the stair and back up- that kind of stuff every morning and night. If you are really worried, see someone about it. Don't wind up with a chronic injury. It's not worth it. Good luck!
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So would doing ssomething like yoga with some stretching help?
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to wear heals every day for my job and experienced the same issue - I found that yoga classes really helped. All those downward dogs really help stretch out the calves.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Simple solution.....Walk barefoot or wear Vibram Five Fingers as much as possible to offset the high heel usage.
  • VictoriaAStone
    Options
    Just wear high heels running.... : p
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options

hmmmm you may have something there... maybe wedges! :-D
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

hmmmm you may have something there... maybe wedges! :-D

I can run in wedges, but not that far. Bet I could win a 50 yard dash:laugh:

Seriously, though, yoga is awesome for my Achilles. Highly recommend it!!