Should I be worried?

Okay,

I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. I do a lot of cardio, and some weight lifing as well. When I am doing cardio on the Eliptical, the amount of calories I burn during that time differ from the amount that is posted on my exercise page. So what is the true amount?:huh: Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, sometimes I do my cardio on this one machine that is not included on the cardio database, and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it is and how many calories I would be burning when I use it. It's a cross between an Eliptical and I Stair Master. It is really hard, and it works you legs out really nicely. Has anyone ever heard of this before?:huh:

I would appreciate anyone that could help me figure out these questions. Thanks for listening!:smooched:

:heart: Amanda:heart:

Replies

• Okay,

I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. I do a lot of cardio, and some weight lifing as well. When I am doing cardio on the Eliptical, the amount of calories I burn during that time differ from the amount that is posted on my exercise page. So what is the true amount?:huh: Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, sometimes I do my cardio on this one machine that is not included on the cardio database, and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it is and how many calories I would be burning when I use it. It's a cross between an Eliptical and I Stair Master. It is really hard, and it works you legs out really nicely. Has anyone ever heard of this before?:huh:

I would appreciate anyone that could help me figure out these questions. Thanks for listening!:smooched:

:heart: Amanda:heart:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    I always enter in the amount of calories burned that it says on the machine. I feel this is more accurate...expecially if it monitors your heart rate. I have an elliptical machine at home and it is much harder than the ones at the gym and the calories burned are much different even between the two. SO, I always go by what the machine says. Others may feel differently. This is just my opinion.

*Kistinbee*
  • http://www.revolutionhealth.com/calculators/calories-burned is an awesome website for finding out how many calories you burn:smile:
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Hi
    I had this problem! I work out on my elliptical at home and it is not an expensive one that tells you how many calories you burned so i went off this site at first, for 30 minutes it said like 150calories and iwas working soooo hard i thought that can't be right.

So i bought myself a heart rate monitor! Best thing i ever did! It has a band that goes around your chest and a wristwatch and you type in your height and weight etc and set it going when you start you workout/walk etc and sto it at the end and it tells you how many calories you burned, for 30 minutes on the elliptical i burned..............400 calories!!!! :happy:

I bought it on ebay for about £20.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    First, No you do not need to worry. This is a normal thing, and the reason it is not the same as what you did is because not all machines are created equal. and each of us use them at different inclines etc. So they use an average, and that is the number they used.
    I just adjust what my T/M said I did on here, till it is listed the same as on here.
    IE last night I cranked out 830 calories on the TM.
    But the min on MFP did not match the min that I had on the TM so I adjusted it on here.
    --Diann...
  • I always enter in the amount of calories burned that it says on the machine. I feel this is more accurate...expecially if it monitors your heart rate. I have an elliptical machine at home and it is much harder than the ones at the gym and the calories burned are much different even between the two. SO, I always go by what the machine says. Others may feel differently. This is just my opinion.

*Kistinbee*

See I thought the same thing, but a lot of the trainers I have spoken with have told me to disreguard the machines. I just don't know.

Amanda
  • http://www.revolutionhealth.com/calculators/calories-burned is an awesome website for finding out how many calories you burn:smile:

Thanks a bunch! I will check it out.
  • I really think it depends on the quality of the machine and if you enter the appropriate data. I have been on elliptical machines that I maintain the same RPM on and on one machine it may say that I have burned 500+ calories on it and then I have been on a newer machine (meaning more bells and whistles) and it calculates me burning around 350 for the same RPM, weight, etc.

In the past I have been told and read that the machines are approximately 25-30% off, so whatever it says, you should reduce the amount burned for a more accurate reading. Which makes sense if you look at my comment above 500 vs 350 calories.

To be honest, I would love to think, "Wow, I burned 800 calories in my work out today" but on the otherhand I would HATE to set myself up for a feeling of failure -- with wondering why the weight isn't coming off as quickly as it should - or if you use the net calorie method on the food chart and eat an extra 800 calories to net 1200 when perhaps you should have only had an extra 400 hundred -- well that would be somewhat unintentionally self defeating. Better to err on the side of caution and be suprised if you are dropping more weight than less.
  • I went to the website and it gave me the exact thing number I get when I am at the gym. On the Manual setting. :bigsmile:
  • I went to the website and it gave me the exact thing number I get when I am at the gym. On the Manual setting. :bigsmile:

You are right... I am on the treadmill for 60 minutes. I run for 30 minutes and walk with a 5% incline for the remaining 30 minutes - and I got within 4 calories of what the machine says -- however, I will say this is one of the newest treadmills out there -- so my discussion may still be accurate.
  • Thanks so much for all the help. It really helped.

Amanda