Walking, shoes and bunions

Options
I'm currently wearing Brooks which when they were new I found very supportive and comfortable - now however I find I feel every stone I walk on and they have stretched leaving me with pain in my bunion after walking for 1/2hr. I'm going to Walmart tonight to try on shoes and was wondering what everyone else was wearing. Because of the way I walk and with talking with a pediatrist she recommended a walking shoe that has a natural curve along the sole to help me roll off my toes more, my arches are fine so I don't need support in that area.

So what do you wear for walking.

Replies

• demonNIИ
    Options
    I highly recommend New Balance shoes. I bought 4 pairs of the 470 style. I won't wear any other brand of athletic shoe except for Airwalk skate shoes for casual dressing. I have the weirdest feet/problematic feet and New Balance shoes just feel like a dream!!
  • twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you really want a great pair of shoes, I would avoid Walmart at all costs. I know they might be cheaper, but you'll only pay for it in the long run. I would go to Academy, ****'s, or some other sporting goods/athletic store with experts who can fit your feet. I have a twin sister and we have totally different brand shoes. No two people will experience the same exact thing from one pair of shoes. Consult an expert and search online for a deal for that particular shoe if cost is an issue.
  • MAGNIFIEDME
    MAGNIFIEDME Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had considered going to sportcheck or something but in all honesty I just cannot afford to pay $100 for a pair of shoes - my budget is very tight. I've never had a problem with shoes from walmart, in fact I have purchased the Dr. Sholl's runners once or twice there and never had a problem - oh wait they fell apart after two months. I stand corrected.
    Ok usually I don't have a problem and normally they last a year or two before I have to buy new ones. But I think I'll go and have my feet measured and talk to them about it... maybe they have some sales on.
    Thanks
  • apertuis
    apertuis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love New Balance. I got my last pair at Academy for under $50.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My personal preference are Nikes, but I also love Rykas, which are designed especially for women.

Shannon
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Check out the New Balance shoes at Sears. Not sure if they're having a sale right now but I just checked the website and a lot of them are marked down - I'm talking 30-50 $$. They're not the experts you'll get at a high-end athletic shoe store but they'll work to get you the right size/fit.

ETA: I've learned that even when you think you can't afford it, it's really best to spend good money on a good pair of walking shoes. The cheap ones don't last long (as you've experienced) so you're going to have to replace them sooner anyway. The New Balance shoes I get last me about a year. It helps that I wear insolves (I've got arch issues) but they're still excellent shoes.
  • demonNIИ
    Options
    Well my one pair of New Balances only lasted 6 months in the gym but I also wore them for 3+ yrs before I started working out.
  • kaimi2011
    kaimi2011 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    thanks for the new balace suggestions. :)