HELP!!! Need Irish or Czech food ideas

Options
My daughter is star of the week at school. One of the days this week she is supposed to bring in a food of her heritage. :laugh: Well, thats fine and dandy if your heritage is Italian or Hispanic (yum) , but uh Irish and Czech we don't have the best foods. :laugh: I'm pretty sure it has to be something store bought (public school) and I have to feed 30 kids so preferably not too expensive. Is there an irish candy or something? I even thought about bringing french fries (potatoes). I'm so lost on this one!

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    There's probably some nummy recipes out there for irish soda bread. I think I've made it once. It was fairly easy.

EDIT: public schools require store bought? That's no fun. Perhaps my school was just small.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I don't think it can be homemade. Maybe a bakery sells that?
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Irish soda bread
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep, we Irish are not exactly renowned for our cuisine. My mother always made Dublin Coddle, which is basically a stew of pork Sausages, streaky bacon, potato and onion. Mind you it looks disgusting and nobody will eat it.

Pity they aren't adults you could go with Guinness or Single Malt Whiskey.

Sorry that wasn't much help.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    First thought for Irish would be a black and tan (made correctly with Guinness and Harp's), but I don't think that would go over well at school.

When I hit the local Irish pub I always get the Parliament Bean Soup as my starter (only 18 cents!, link (with a copy-cat recipe) actually references the restaurant I go to: http://cucinapanzano.blogspot.com/2009/01/bean-soup.html). Or there's always bangers and mash (just make sure it's colcannon and not just mashed taters).

As for Czech food....ya. No help for you. Sorry.

*colcannon.......drool....*
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Czech food is easy if you have a bakery that sells kolaches. Shame you have to bring store bought.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Guinness.... oops, ummm how 'bout this site:

http://www.yourirish.com/food/

I suggest buying a few cans of Split pea and ham soup and call 'er a day.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Dang, now I want a Guinness and hard cider. Still no useful ideas for the food.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How about some nice Irish cheese?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options
    :laugh: Funny how both are know for our beer! :drinker: I'll check the bakery. I think that's my best bet. Thanks! :drinker:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options
    How about some nice Irish cheese?

Good Idea! I hadn't thought of that! I wonder where I can find some? Trader Joes? Whole Foods?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Irish food - potatoes, certainly: fries, not really.

We do good breads - if you can find wheaten bread, soda bread, or potato farls those would all be fine. Irish Stew you might be able to find in a can. I can give you a recipe for potato farls if you are allowed to bake it yourself.

Smoked salmon (served with some buttered wheaten bread...)

Candy wise we have "Yellow Man" - a sort of tooth-breaking honeycomb brittle like you'd find inside a Crunchie bar.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Irish stew, champ - mashed potatoes with scallions (spring onions chopped nd simmered in milk then added to the mash), Potato bread, soda bread, barmbrack (yummy fruit bead), wheaten bread (nice with smoked salmon, very tradtional Irish food).

http://www.yourirish.com/food/
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just hand each child a potato.
  • bahrainbel_2
    Options
    colcannon
  • lorimur
    Options
    Ah Philip....Dublin Coddle on a Saturday night...it's your only man ! (if cooked right of course)...lol
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Easy Kolacky

Ingredients
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 cup butter
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 (12.5 ounce) can apricot fruit filling (such as Solo®)
    1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions
    1. Place the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl; beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat 1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar into the butter mixture. Slowly beat in the flour; mix well. Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 3 hours, or overnight.
    2. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    3. On a well floured board, roll out chilled dough to 1/8 inch. Use a pizza wheel to cut dough into 2 1/2 inch squares. Spoon approximately 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of each square; do not overfill. Fold opposite corners of each square into the middle to encase dough, pinching dough together in center. Filling should peek out a little at each end. Transfer cookies to an ungreased baking sheet.
    4. Bake the kolacky in the preheated oven until set but not brown, about 12 minutes. Remove to racks to cool. Dust cooled kolacky with remaining powdered sugar.

Nutritional Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 36

Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 126
    Total Fat: 7.4g
    Cholesterol: 20mg
    Sodium: 59mg
    Total Carbs: 14.4g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.2g
    Protein: 1.3g
  • lorimur
    Options
    Maybe you could find a Tea Brack..or a Molly Malone Fish Pie....or failing that....just load up a tray with sausages, rashers and maybe black or white pudding if you can find it...
  • jedi9393
    Options
    Did someone say Czech! hi!!!!!!!!!!! My husband is Czech. Goulash is one dish. Look it up, it can be made several different ways. Meat, pasta, corn and onion and sauce. Yumm! Kolaches are another. Also sausages and saurkraut. Czech food is very close to german, but dont tell a Czech that, lol! Roasted pork with dumplings too. Also Czech peach dumpling! there is an easy receipe found online. I've made all of these before and I'm not Czech. Just a sistah from Detroit!
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You said that you have to purchase sweets for kids so here try this website:

http://www.jmimport.com/wafers-c-26.html