Protien shake hygiene

Options
How long is a protein shake made at home in the blender and then stored in the fridge good? What are your personal shake practices?

I like making a few servings the regular blender, and storing in the fridge in the blender for later use that day of the next. The sides of the blender get a film on them, and I know when you leave just a trace of old protein shake at room temp, it created a horrible stink in a pretty short time. Thanks for the input!

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'd go by smell. If it has a funk I'd throw it out and I'd only pre-make for 2 days (personal preference).
  • whacknasty
    Options
    I usually go by smell as well, but to be safe (and because I'm forgetful) I always just make a few for the day.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have a hand blender and just do one at a time.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I would go by smell, but I tend to make them as I need them to ensure freshness.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i would go by the smell...I like to freeze mine
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't go more than a day or two. And I would go with the smell test, too. My protein powder makes me gag as it is. I carry dry powder in a blender bottle and mix it with water when I'm near a water cooler or fountain. As long as it stays dry, I know that it's good. Sometimes, I'll mix it with coffee or juice for a change of pace. I usually chug it down in about 30 minutes.
  • JohnnyChristian
    Options
    Depends on what else is in the shake.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't go more than a day or two. And I would go with the smell test, too. My protein powder makes me gag as it is. I carry dry powder in a blender bottle and mix it with water when I'm near a water cooler or fountain. As long as it stays dry, I know that it's good. Sometimes, I'll mix it with coffee or juice for a change of pace. I usually chug it down in about 30 minutes.
    I found that adding ice helps make it more palatable.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am on a new kick of using orange juice, ice and vanilla powder with a bit of stevia. It takes like an orange creamsicle. Some days I'll add peanut butter or powdered cocoa or both.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My hubby felt the need to remind me that I know how to make a frappuccino. So I bought a single serve blender. Working on not using it for fraps....
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I would probably go with 24 hours. The smell is enough to freak me out.
    Sometimes I will spend some time making 5-6 and freezing them in individual bags for busy mornings. Ive done this with green smoothies and it works out pretty well.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    even after I clean a shake container I have carried to work, I squirt a splash of bleach cleaner in it when rinsing... I am glad I am not the only one who gets the eeebie jeebies!