Feeling sick when eating Carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    If you start looking around, you can find quite a number of people saying that wheat and other gluten containing grains (but especially wheat) are really hard for a lot of people to handle (not JUST those with full-blown celiac). And this includes whole wheat. I don't know what was in that cereal, but it could be that you are someone who is sensitive to wheat and you are just realizing it now. It may not be "carbs" -- do you feel sick after eating fruit? How about sweet potatoes? White rice? You could try adding those back in to increase your calories and see how you do. There are plenty of carbohydrate sources that are not gluten-containing grains.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I dont want to offend anyone by saying this. BUT this is an examply why no carb diets dont work. They work for the temporary, but not for the lifetime. Try introducing healtier carbs, slowly, your body will relearn how to process them properly.

how does this show that no /low carb diets don't work?????? why does this imply only temporay. that fact that they make me feel sick makes more reason to stay on it long term , as in life time. See i am the kind that can be taught. i eat X , X made me feel sick, so am i going to continue to eat X ............. HELL NO . see problem solved..........long term
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you feel crappy when eating grain carbs but not when eating vegetable carbs you might want to try going gluten free for a while to see if you have gluten intollerance.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    You should not feel sick, bloated after eating a normal amount of food. Symptoms of gluten intolerance include; feeling overly full or bloated after eating foods with wheat, rye, or barley; chronic loose bowels and /or constipation (I alternated); very smelly bm; pain in the gut (I always described mine as a brick in my low abdomen); lots of gas; nausea. Those with sever conditions can also experience a rash (kind of like a pimple or mosquito bite) on their arms around the elbow, knees, back and other bony areas. The rash can be severe and is seriously itchy. If you have some or all of these symptoms, you do want to avoid food with wheat, rye, and barley. I am gluten intolerant and my aunt is celiac. Try eliminating just those foods, but eat other types of carbs, like rice, potatoes, fruit, etc to see what happens. Symptoms usually go away in 3-5 days. If the symptoms go away, reintroduce the gluten foods back into your diet to see if the symptoms re-appear. If they do, call a reputable GI doctor to be evaluated. The symptoms don't mean you are celiac, but you could be severely intolerant like me. There is a blood test for celiac, but you need to be eating gluten to be sure to get an accurate result. Hope this helps.

I get migrains and brain fogs when I get glutened. I equated my gut pain to eating broken glass laced with arsenic...

okay that settles it i am defiantly changin my contacts tonight, i have been trying to figure out what a brain f r o g was
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    YEP i always feel crappy if i increase my crabs.

I just feel kind of itchy.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No one really needs the carbs from grains. You should actually get plenty if you're eating enough fruits and veggies. Bread does make it a lot easier to get necessary calories, of course. To see if it's a gluten issue, why not try eating gluten free carbs, like rice cakes and stuff?
  • FairyMiss
    Options

damn *kitten* keyboard dyslexia
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Knowing what type of cereal you ate would be helpful. While adding grains back and feeling bloated immediately brings gluten intollerance to mind, it could be several other things as well. Bloating from an insulin rush if the cereal was not whole grain or contained a lot of sugar could be another possibility.
  • jedi9393
    Options
    I totally agree. Carbs are not needed!! I dont know y people believe this nonesense. Fruits and veggies are needed, but grains? no way. Flour? Nope. The nutritional value of grains can be obtained from other foods. Sugar is another one. Not needed. People needed grains back in the day cause it could be grown, its cheap, versatile and filling. Same thing for most starches. Rice and potatoes were needed as a cheap high carb fuel source. There are so many options we have now.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Knowing what type of cereal you ate would be helpful. While adding grains back and feeling bloated immediately brings gluten intollerance to mind, it could be several other things as well. Bloating from an insulin rush if the cereal was not whole grain or contained a lot of sugar could be another possibility.

CHOCOLATE COATED SUGER BOMBS
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

damn *kitten* keyboard dyslexia
    You gotta admit, as far as typos go, that was a good one!
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    To the Original poster:

Good luck finding out what is causing you this discomfort!

To everyone else who gave their two cents about whether low carb is good or not... FYI: that wasn't the original question.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    To everyone else who gave their two cents about whether low carb is good or not... FYI: that wasn't the original question.

Indeed.

To the OP: Yes. This has happened to me. Just recently, in fact. After avoiding gluten for close to a month, I had some again last week and felt pretty gross. Painfully bloated. This has not happened with corn tortillas, white rice or plantains.

On a more general level (which was what my post was getting at): Yes. This has happened to a lot of people.

Best of luck. If it makes you feel gross, I say avoid it.
  • lucys1982
    lucys1982 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had flour tortillas at the weekend and felt fine so I think it is to do with processed carbs so I am going to try and avoid white bread, cereals etc. May introduce wheat pasta. The cereal in question was a kind of oat wheaty chocolate variety.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating carbs like cereal, bread, pasta etc as part of a low carb/ high protein diet. (But still fruit and veg).

Had some cereal today as trying to up my calories and has made me feel really sick and bloated. Has anyone else encountered this?

Feeling sick and especially bloated after eating sugar or grains is a direct symptom of intolerance to one or both of those foods.

Most low carb plans don't have you counting calories - you learn to eat intuitively as your body guides you on what it needs. No need to punish yourself just for the sake of upping calories, that is unhealthy in itself.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You should not feel sick, bloated after eating a normal amount of food. Symptoms of gluten intolerance include; feeling overly full or bloated after eating foods with wheat, rye, or barley; chronic loose bowels and /or constipation (I alternated); very smelly bm; pain in the gut (I always described mine as a brick in my low abdomen); lots of gas; nausea. Those with sever conditions can also experience a rash (kind of like a pimple or mosquito bite) on their arms around the elbow, knees, back and other bony areas. The rash can be severe and is seriously itchy. If you have some or all of these symptoms, you do want to avoid food with wheat, rye, and barley. I am gluten intolerant and my aunt is celiac. Try eliminating just those foods, but eat other types of carbs, like rice, potatoes, fruit, etc to see what happens. Symptoms usually go away in 3-5 days. If the symptoms go away, reintroduce the gluten foods back into your diet to see if the symptoms re-appear. If they do, call a reputable GI doctor to be evaluated. The symptoms don't mean you are celiac, but you could be severely intolerant like me. There is a blood test for celiac, but you need to be eating gluten to be sure to get an accurate result. Hope this helps.

Ouch!

I get migrains and brain fogs when I get glutened. I equated my gut pain to eating broken glass laced with arsenic...
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had flour tortillas at the weekend and felt fine so I think it is to do with processed carbs so I am going to try and avoid white bread, cereals etc. May introduce wheat pasta. The cereal in question was a kind of oat wheaty chocolate variety.

if you have been careful about what you been eating, that cereal might just have simply been too rich and sweet
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You need carbs. Period. Especially if you are exercising (which if you are trying to lose weight should be mandatory). Carbs are the fuel you need.

The problem is the type of carbs we eat are garbage. And as such our bodies reflect the type of garbage we put into them.

If she has gluten issues than, no, she doesn't NEED carbs - especially grain carbs. No one NEEDS carbs. Fat is our fuel source. Too much sugar in the blood is toxic so that's take priority over burning fat but carbs aren't the body's preferred source of fuel - fat is. It they were we would have unlimited storage (like our fat storage). The body can make glucose if it needs glucose. And veggies and fruits contain carbs. There is no such thing as an essential dietary carbohydrate.

I guess all of those nutritionists that tell us to eat the right carbs must be wrong. What was I thinking.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Carbs are not needed!! I dont know y people believe this nonesense. Fruits and veggies are needed, but grains? no way. Flour? Nope. The nutritional value of grains can be obtained from other foods. Sugar is another one. Not needed. People needed grains back in the day cause it could be grown, its cheap, versatile and filling. Same thing for most starches. Rice and potatoes were needed as a cheap high carb fuel source. There are so many options we have now.

You are aware that fruits and veggies are carbs right?
  • 4neg
    4neg Posts: 1
    Options
    Processed foods and white flour are not carbs they are garbage. Don't let others tell you that you need bread or pasta otherwise you'll regain your weight. There are so many rich sources of good carbs. Brown rice, sweet potato, squash, quinoa, fruit, steel cut oats, beans. If you can't stomach HFCS, wonderful! Trust me you are doing amazing by cutting that stuff out. It's hard and you did it. Getting queasy is your body telling you to stop putting crap into it :)