Feel Free to Kick me in the Butt

I am going to post this now while I am at the peak of my motivation - in the event it is needed.

You see, I am a great beginner. I am pumped, ready, able and willing. I smile, laugh and am generally self-confident when I start something off.

Like now. Everything is roses.

But sadly, like most of my good intentions - when it involves making a positive decision and commitment to do something for myself - like excerising or changing my eating habits - I have a shelf life (well, that's not the best choice of words - but I am venting now) of about 5 - 6 weeks.

My support people (my hubby, sister and a friend) know this and now I am telling all the MFP members.

I plan on making this a totally different time and folllowing through on what I start. I did it finally after smoking for 43 years. I can do it for losing weight and getting into shape and finally getting rid of all those nasty bad voices in my head that tell me I am never going to accomplish this and that it is just like the last times.

Sorry to bore you if you are reading this. I just find posting my thoughts very therapeutic. Elaine

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Well good luck with this, I believe if you can successfully quit smoking you can do anything.......I haven't smoked in 15 years and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I think using MFP is fun and might help you to stick you your guns.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Best of luck on your journey. You can do this! Support & encouragement is definitely helpful!
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Welcome! When I started this thing, I just decided I was going to tell EVERYBODY. All my co-workers, my Facebook friends, everybody. I'm sure that's not a one-size-fits-all strategy, but it has really worked well for me. Good luck and stick with it! You can do it!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Been there, lived that.....this is one of the first things I've ever stuck to for more than a few weeks!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Me too! Im great at the starting gates but my motivation typically dwindles . . . I've just come off an absence from MFP for the majority of the summer but have learned the tools needed and maintained my previous loss in my absence. Now Im back to it to get that last 25'ish off for good.
    I found that the friendships that I formed here were enough to keep me going. Others depended on me for our daily check-ins and support as well . . . so that kept me loggin in each day too.
    Take 1 day at a time, it is easier and not so overwhelming.
    Good luck!
  • OMG I had the exact same conversation with my hubby last night. My shelf life is usually about 2-3 weeks! Then my hubby said "it's like quitting smoking...you just gotta do it!". And I said..."Sure...but when you quit smoking you go cold turkey and never smoke again...how do you quit FOOD or EATING?" So it's NOT the same thing! I'd say it's HARDER because you still have to eat! Sigh.

Anyway...I believe you can do it. Believe in yourself and maintain hope and perserverance.

GOOD LUCK!