Scales-----Digital or not??

Options
I need a new scale and would much rather chose one based on the wisdom of MFP members. The scale we have at home seems to fluctuate wildly (3 or 4 lbs) in both directions and I know it isn't because of me. It does the same thing to my husband. The scale at my doctor's office is one of those traditional med office kind w/the sliding weights and the number I get on that scale rarely bares any resemblance to what I get at home or at the gym.
For my own sanity, I want to weigh myself at the same time on the same scale every couple of days so I need something new.
Any recommendations or advice for me??
Thanks!!
:drinker:

Replies

• ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have the same question!!! Can't wait to hear.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice because I have the same question, thanks for posting, I will try to check back to see some answers. :drinker:
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I went with a digital scale.

I had one of the analog scales that you have and I noticed if I leaned slightly forward I would weigh about 6lbs less than if I leaned backward. :-/
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I like digital because you can see the weight loss better. Mine records in tenths and has a 2 person memory. I can weigh-in once a week and it will tell me how much I lost (or gained Bleh!) for the week.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i have a digital scale. i like it because it tells you to the 10th decimal place where you're at. this morning, it said i was 157.8 (goal is 135 so i have a ways to go). you can have different settings for different people, depending on which type you get. i haven't even really played around with the features on mine yet...
  • iowaiceman
    Options
    you could always get your own health o meter 402kl then it should match the doctor. Amazon has some for around $160.00
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Digital
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    i use my wii fit and an analogue one from the 50s. They both tell me the same but I trust the wii fit more. I would go with a digital x
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Digital! I check mine every so often with some 15lb hand weights.
  • browneteach
    browneteach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a digital scale. The scales that you find in a doctor's office are calibrated often, while digital scales tend to be more reliable and precise. Weight Watchers has a scale for sale, although a little pricey, that can tell you your BMI and how much weight you've lost/gained since the last weigh in.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers brand scale i got at shopko for 30 bucks. weighs in 10ths, has memory so it remembers your last weigh in. my old large face analog i always had to calibrate. hated it.
  • Deadbeat13
    Options
    I have a digital scale.
    I found out lately that it is right on the spot! I weighed my 31kg suitcase on it not long ago just to check. When i got the airport the exact weight came up on their scales.
    So i will say go with a digital.
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sugar Berry
    That is kind of what mine does!! I swear, if I move it to different parts of the bathroom (and the floor is completely level so that isn't the problem) my weight can have a 5 lbs difference.
    I think I need to go to a brand new digital. It is definitely worth the investment given the funk that I can get in if the #'s are not at all reflective of what I suspect they are going to be.
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I purchased the below scale. I can move all around, lean forward/backwards and my weight doesn't change.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808
  • rustypust
    rustypust Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well I have a digital and I am questioning it's accuracy to be honest I have weighed on three different scales and they all say about the same weight but when I get on my scale it differs by 2kg in the wrong direction.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Digital! I check mine every so often with some 15lb hand weights.

I do the exact same thing with my digital scale.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have a digital, it also measures body fat, water content. (you must weigh barefoot) had it 8 years and still works great.
    Very accurate.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I got the EatSmart digital scale. I got one for food (weighs up to 11 lbs.) and the other for my personal weight. It's a good deal and was recommended by Skinnytaste.com. I've been happy so far with both. You can get them from Amazon.com. I also recommend a measuring tape to chart progress the scale might not always reflect.
  • Trillian73
    Trillian73 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Mine is a digital one and before I bought it I tried it out in the store to make sure that it gave the same number consistently each time I stepped on it, no matter how I was standing or leaning on it. Prior to that I'd had the same problem as you with both an analog and a digital scale - wide variety of readings.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    It's 2011 ;) I would go with the most advanced thing I could find.