vegetarian/vegan cookbooks?

Options
My DH and I are looking for good vegetarian/vegan cookbooks. We are not veggies and I don't think we will ever fully switch to the vegetarian lifestyle. I love my seafood too much so i'd only go as far as pescatarian and the hubby well i don't know. However we do want to start incorporating more veggie meals into our diet. Plus my SIL is vegan so we need good ideas for meals for when she visits. We want to find a cookbook that overall contains fairly inexpensive easy meals (we are both grad students so limited budget) as well as dishes with ingredients that can be used for other dishes. Does anyone have any recommendations???

Replies

• rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Mark Bittman, how to cook everything vegetarian

and the mother of all veggie cookbooks

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My current favorites are "Appetite for Reduction" and "The Vegan Slow Cooker". A4R has a fabulous selection of unscary vegan foods. I love my slow cooker and just got that book last week. Read the whole thing, food sounds great, trying the Hot and Hour Soup and Kung Pao Chick'n tonight.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I just got "Peas and Thank You" by Sarah Matheny. Love it! So many delicious recipes in there!

http://www.amazon.com/Peas-Thank-You-Simple-Meatless/dp/0373892403
  • tlowder
    Options
    The Alicia Silverstone cookbook is pretty good. The book is called The Kind Diet and I've liked most of the recipes I've tried from it. I'm in the same boat, trying to eat less meat but know that I don't want to do it completely. I cook a lot of Indian dishes since their vegetarian food is nice and spicy. I use Bal Arneson's Everyday Indian for most of my recipes. It has meat and veg recipes but the veg recipes are quite good!
  • kdelost630
    Options
    I left you my two cookbooks on your status. But I want to bump this for later!
  • KindleBlossom
    Options
    The Moosewood cookbooks are fantastic, especially the "Fast and Easy Recipes" edition, for your purposes. Also, Madhur Jaffrey writes a whole range of cookbooks that adapt simple recipes from around the world (with a focus on Indian food, though), all of which use versatile, whole foods in easy, everyday recipes.

I'm a vegetarian and the primary cook in an omnivorous household, so I know what you mean about needing a recipe to be adaptable. :) Keep in mind that you can always modify your favorite dishes by replacing the meat with Boca or Morningstar "crumbles" or black bean (in recipes calling for ground beef) or lentils (in recipes calling for sausage), or a number of other delicious choices that these cookbooks can expand upon further. Good luck!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    madhur jaffey's world of east indian cooking.

everything is just delicious!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My current favorites are "Appetite for Reduction" and "The Vegan Slow Cooker". A4R has a fabulous selection of unscary vegan foods. I love my slow cooker and just got that book last week. Read the whole thing, food sounds great, trying the Hot and Hour Soup and Kung Pao Chick'n tonight.
    Appetite for Reduction is great! It also shows how many calories, fat, protein are in each recipe. Well worth the buy
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Veganomicon and Appetite for Reduction are the two most used cookbooks in my arsenal right now...both really great!
  • Raytae
    Options
    "The Kind Diet" is a great book and has what your looking for
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My new favorite website, except for MFP of course, is Skinnytaste.com. I can't over the variety of recipes!
  • amylrach
    amylrach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Appetite for Reduction is good!
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    wow, so many great book recommendations. I'm adding them to my library borrow list!
  • crazie01grape
    crazie01grape Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! My husband and I will try to figure out which one to pick :)