Water Retention

Options
I have edema and have been taking lasix, but my potassium plummeted and I was taken off of them. Does anyone know ways of helping with water retention?? I already drink tons of water, so I don't think that's my problem. Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• Kirabelly
    Options
    My doc put me on lasix (generic) but for only twice a week and it has helped a LOT. Pamprin or Midol helped too as it has a diuretic in it, but ask your doc about it. Also if it's worst in your ankles/feet like mine, I slept with my feet elevated during the most humid days of summer.
  • caitem
    Options
    white fish like tilapia or cod and aparagus... also warm water and lemon...

i am training for a fitness competition and adding these items have helped alot
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I also have had problems with edema, particularly pitting in my lower legs and ankles, in the past. Since I've lost weight, it has gotten remarkably better, so hang in there. It will go away as you lose!

That said, I still run into issues here and there. I was advised by my doctor to take high dosages of ginkgo biloba when swelling became a problem (because it isn't a constant problem for me, it wanes and gets worse throughout the month, usually).

I usually buy ginkgo from CVS Pharmacy (just the plain old over the counter supplement) and take 5 caps in the morning and 5 at night. When edema is particularly bad, I also take 2 potassium caps in the morning and one in the nighttime as well. This is something i only do when the swelling happens, so it's not a daily thing.

The ginkgo HELPS. Within a day or two, I usually notice remarkable change. I had an article somewhere on my computer about the effects of ginkgo on idiopathic edema, but i have to locate it for you. I can honestly say that I've had better results with ginkgo + weight loss than i have with a prescription diuretic (I was using hydrochlorathiazide (HCTZ) two years ago).
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    add some lemon to your water