Is anyone taking cinnamon supplements to treat PCOS?

Options
I have PCOS since I was a teen. But wasn't properly diagnosed til 2004. I've gained a massive amount of weight over the years and is now making strides to get healthy and get in shape. I am having a very hard time lossing little to no weight at all. Since this June I've been working out 4-5x a week (cardio and strength), sometimes twice a day. I eat a very low-carb, high protein diet and drink nothing but water and had only lost 13 pounds. That maybe a lot for some but I feel as hard as I'm pushing I should be lossing more. I know it's the PCOS that's holding me back, but I can't find a doctor that knows enough to help me get on track. So I've been on my own with research. I recently read that cinnamon help charge the metabolism and help with weight lost.
Is this true? How does it work? What's an effective amount? Pills or powder, which is better?

Thx in adv!

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I don't think I've heard that. Bumping to see what others say.

I will say that losing with PCOS has been pretty easy since I cut back carbs. I lots 5 lbs the first week I did that!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the cinamon but i also have PCOS and i have lost 10 1/2lbs since the start of July so a simillar amount to you. I have decided it doesnt matter how much others loose of how fast, i am finally loosing and thats all that counts and it is slow and steady weight loss which is good.

Would be interested to see what others say about the supplements though.
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but I am taking cinnamon for my Type 2 diabetes. I go back to the doctor in about 2 weeks so I know more then if has been helping me out.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work. I had to try tons of birth control, and finally yasmin worked for me. when i was trying to get prego, glucophage also helped control it. now i have a mirena, and the progesterone in it works too. i'm all about natural stuff, but for me, it just didn't work.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Cinnamon supplements since last August. Cinnamon is mainly meant to help your metabolism digest carbs and sugars better, which is why it helps PCOS/insulin resistance. I did notice alot of the sugar and carb cravings went away after the first week, which really helps alot of people. It's great for IR and diabetes. I take Cinnamon in place of Metformin. :)

I take the pill form. 1000mg of Cinnamon + Chormium daily. Do not expect your weight to fall off just from taking Cinnamon. It WILL help your metabolism which will lead to better weight loss, but it is not a weight loss supplement, so do not take it for that. Take it to help your IR.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yes. Definitely. Plenty of studies about it. Tablets will give you a higher potency.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't know what PCOS is but my Dr recommended cinnamon suppliments this past spring. I don't know if it really makes a difference bc I have been eating right and exercising but I am loosing so I continue to take it. It's super cheap compared to other supplements and I have not read anything about harmful side effects.

I take (on Dr's recommendation) 2000mg a day in gell caps. He did say you can swallow a tbsp of powder if you want but the pills are way easier to get down. He also said don't worry if it has chromium in it or not. If it does, it's a small amt and is not harmful.
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for over 13 years. I had great success losing the first 30lbs since starting MFP by just counting calories and working out 3-5 days a week but hit a plateau last month. I decided to do some research on weight loss with PCOS and here are a few tips I found and have implemented into my own routine and has got me losing again, it might help others! (and I may look into cinnamon supplements as well!)

- I take a multivitamin everyday - currently taking Women's One a Day with metabolism support.
    - I have split my meals into 4-6 'mini meals'.
    - No more soda, at all, and lots more water.
    - I eat more fiber, fresh fruit and whole grains.

I still get cravings every once in a while for sweets, especially on my period. I have found that a few pieces of dark chocolate does the trick, I eat them slowly and my craving gets satisfied plus I get to eat chocolate!!! :)
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't know what PCOS is but my Dr recommended cinnamon suppliments this past spring. I don't know if it really makes a difference bc I have been eating right and exercising but I am loosing so I continue to take it. It's super cheap compared to other supplements and I have not read anything about harmful side effects.

I take (on Dr's recommendation) 2000mg a day in gell caps. He did say you can swallow a tbsp of powder if you want but the pills are way easier to get down. He also said don't worry if it has chromium in it or not. If it does, it's a small amt and is not harmful.

PCOS stands for Polycystic ovary syndrome.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I take cinnamon only for the benefit that it keeps blood sugar at a steadier level for longer. I know that has been proven. I don't take it as a weight loss supplement though. So can't help you on the other stuff.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I have PCOS too. Have you seen an endocrinologist? My GP and OB/GYN both referred me to one for the PCOS.

I see one every four months and he has me on Glucophage/Metformin. Once you get past learning what you can eat to prevent side effects and your hormone levels blanace out, it's much easier for the weight to come off.
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    Thx guys. I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I don't wanna use it as a weight lost supplement.. I'm not looking for any short cuts (diet suppements, pills, ect)
    In my research I read that cinnamon was a great sub to Metformin which is used to treat PCOS and Type 2 Diabetes ---Insulin Resistant.

I just wanna hear from those who have tried it. Does it work or not??
    That is all... Thx a bunch!!!
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    I have PCOS too. Have you seen an endocrinologist? My GP and OB/GYN both referred me to one for the PCOS.

I see one every four months and he has me on Glucophage/Metformin. Once you get past learning what you can eat to prevent side effects and your hormone levels blanace out, it's much easier for the weight to come off.

Hi,
    Forgive my ignorance but what's a Endocrinologist??
  • Iwillshyne
    Options

Hi,

Nevermind. I looked it up ;o) to answer you question: no. Didn't know much about diabetes. But thx!
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon did not work for me- but I have a "severe form of PCOS" (as my doctor put it) so I use metformin which has worked well for me. Seems like it works for some folks and maybe not so much for others. I think you just have to try it, work with your dr and see what happens.
  • Mrswilko
    Options
    I've never heard of taking cinnamon for PCOS but I might look into it... I'm happy to take anything to aid in my quest to help loose weight - obviously realising though it's so hard to do and won't go away quickly! :(

I am on metformin 2g daily and i think it's helped my weight loss. (but that might just be from the side effects!)

Here in the UK metformin is not licensed to 'treat' PCOS but is very widely used - how are things in the US regarding it's use?
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for 22 yrs. I used to be on Metformin and always sick from it. I came off of it and joined this sight. I also take cinnamon everyday. Its benefits are geared mainly to insulin resistance. I take a tsp everyday mixed in peanut butter. I also Started a multi vit, eat low carb, take fish oil 2x a day and am on BCpills, exercise 6 days a wk and I feel terrific. Better than I ever did on Met. Good luck
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Drugs can be used off label for things such as this and metformin is widely used here for PCOS. I think cinnamon is supposed to lower blood sugar, but I visit a diabetic forum and most people there say the difference in their readings is so slight, it's hardly worth the effort. They get a better dip in their blood sugar by drinking a glass of wine before bed.
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I used to have a really bad reaction to metformin until I started using the metformin extended release pills. I tolerate it much better and now expeience very little if any side effects.
  • jennifer2977
    Options

Hi,

Nevermind. I looked it up ;o) to answer you question: no. Didn't know much about diabetes. But thx!

No, I d on't take it for diabetes (although they treat that as well). The metformin (althought it can be a diabetic med) is used to help the insulin resistance. Endocrinologists basically specialize in the adrenal system, hormones, metabolism, and glands, all which are affected by the PCOS. They go a bit more in depth than a family practioner or OB/GYN. Mine has all of my hormones balanced out now. Look into it, it has helped me a ton!