17 day diet calorie help...

Options
Hi all.. I am on day one of the 17DD, and I am a bit concerned about not eating enough calories. I am using the 2tbsps of EVOO and eating a lot of protien, but I am still not getting to 1200cal. I also exersize, so I am worried that I will not be eating enough and go into starvation mode. Please help..thanks

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you pay attention to the diet, it tells you to do limited exercise through the first 17 days because of the limited calories. If you are planning on doing intense workouts, please, find something else that will work for you.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You're not gonna instantly hit starvation mode, maybe you should just limit the exercise for the low cal part. Starvation mode probably takes more than 17 days to hit anyway, poeple greatly exaggerate it
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    So, this is a diet that lasts 17 days, and advises no exercise? I have bad news for you...diets do NOT work. Long-term changes in your overall eating patterns and exercise do. I would speak my mind and try to get you whipped into shape with a crack upside the head, but moderators would yell at me, then I'd have to deactivate my account again.

So, I'll do it softly. Please, please, please understand the core concept of being fit. It takes long-term consistency, with no gimmicks. It takes hard work, there is no way around that. 17 days of low cal eating, with no exercise will result in a weight loss...if you manage all 17 days. BUT, good chance much of that is lean mass (this is bad). So, after the "diet", you will now actually have a lower BMR (the calories you burn if you lazed around all day). So, in the end - in only 17 days, here's what your prize is:

1. HIGHER body fat percentage.
    2. LOWER energy.
    3. LOWER BMR.
    4. 17 Days of Misery.
    5. LOWER chance of getting fit or trying in the future due to a "failure".

Beyond that fun, if you go back to your normal eating (which you most likely will based on a highly limited calorie diet), you will gain weight back FASTER because you have a lower BMR. If you want to know how to do it right, this isn't it. If you want, message me privately your goals, why you want to lose this weight, and we can talk about a sensible plan.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    So, this is a diet that lasts 17 days, and advises no exercise? I have bad news for you...diets do NOT work. Long-term changes in your overall eating patterns and exercise do. I would speak my mind and try to get you whipped into shape with a crack upside the head, but moderators would yell at me, then I'd have to deactivate my account again.

So, I'll do it softly. Please, please, please understand the core concept of being fit. It takes long-term consistency, with no gimmicks. It takes hard work, there is no way around that. 17 days of low cal eating, with no exercise will result in a weight loss...if you manage all 17 days. BUT, good chance much of that is lean mass (this is bad). So, after the "diet", you will now actually have a lower BMR (the calories you burn if you lazed around all day). So, in the end - in only 17 days, here's what your prize is:

1. HIGHER body fat percentage.
    2. LOWER energy.
    3. LOWER BMR.
    4. 17 Days of Misery.
    5. LOWER chance of getting fit or trying in the future due to a "failure".

Beyond that fun, if you go back to your normal eating (which you most likely will based on a highly limited calorie diet), you will gain weight back FASTER because you have a lower BMR. If you want to know how to do it right, this isn't it. If you want, message me privately your goals, why you want to lose this weight, and we can talk about a sensible plan.

That isn't really how the 17 day diet works. There are three phases that last 17 days each. There is also a maintenance plan. I read through it and it is healthy, whole foods. The first 17 days, the advice is to do low impact, light exercise while your body adjusts. After that, since calories increase and the body adjusts, you can return to normal activity.

I am not advocating for or against it, but with everything out there, this looks manageable and sustainable.
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/17-day-diet-b487463

Explains in really good detail the process/steps of this diet/eating plan.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If you can see yourself doing it for the rest of your life - forever - it is manageable. Otherwise, it's a diet fad. They come and they go, and so do the results. I reviewed it just now, too. It's complicated, they want to sell you their food products, and caloric shifting happens naturally. Sorry, but if you're going to "buy-in" to something, there are some amazing people here who will help you "buy in" to a life of living better. It doesn't have a fancy name, or a website, and it doesn't cost you $19.95 a month...

When you stop doing the 17 day diet, come back here, and with open arms you will find a group ready to help you out!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you can see yourself doing it for the rest of your life - forever - it is manageable. Otherwise, it's a diet fad. They come and they go, and so do the results. I reviewed it just now, too. It's complicated, they want to sell you their food products, and caloric shifting happens naturally. Sorry, but if you're going to "buy-in" to something, there are some amazing people here who will help you "buy in" to a life of living better. It doesn't have a fancy name, or a website, and it doesn't cost you $19.95 a month...

When you stop doing the 17 day diet, come back here, and with open arms you will find a group ready to help you out!

I respectfully request that you read the book before you make assumptions as to the validity of this plan. Many of us on MFP (and on other support websites) have found success with this eating plan. It's unfortunate that many people take it at it's basic title - "The 17 Day Diet" - because it is SO MUCH MORE than that.

I don't know where you got your information re: "they want to sell you their food products"... and "$19.95 a month". I bought the book at Sam's club for less than $20, that's all I needed to do. I'm just following the book's instructions and am doing great.

Through this eating plan I have cut out nearly all refined sugar and flour, as well as artificial sweetener. I'm a life-long Diet Coke addict who is now completely off Diet Coke, drinking water and green tea instead. I'm eating lean proteins, fresh fruits and veggies, and controlled whole grains and starches.

Cycle 4 of the plan is the Maintenance cycle - it outlines an eating plan that you CAN stay with for life. And that's my plan - this is how I plan to "structure" my eating choices for the rest of my life, with the guidelines provided by the 17 Day Diet.

This plan is NOT for everyone I'm sure, and I wish everyone total success on whatever they chose to do.

Here's the thread for other 17 Day Dieters on MFP, if anyone wants to join us, you'd surely be welcome!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347674-the-17-day-diet

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice