Anyone tried factory farmed vs pasture raised meat

I am a pescetarian and my fiance is not. I hate having to buy meat from the store, factory farming is one of the reasons I quit frickin eating meat myself. So to still have to buy it for him makes me feel like crap and you just never know if what you are getting really is or isn't factory farmed just because of a loosely worded label. I found a wonderful farm close to me that sells only pasture raised meat, it is more expensive but at least it's a load off of my mind. My question is has anyone tried factory farmed and pasture raised side by side. I have heard there is a huge difference in texture and flavor. Can anyone tell me the difference?

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    In general, the pasture raised is leaner, and tougher. The flavor is more pronounced - a better flavor as far as I'm concerned. Pastured generally makes a fantastic burger or a really good roast, but might be too tough as a steak.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Depends on the farm! I've had awful, tough, stringy pasture-raised beef and I've had delicious, tender, flavorful pasture-raised beef. Personally, the best beef I've had came from a local, organic farm that pastured their cows, then finished them on grain.

Not all local, grass fed beef is guaranteed to taste amazing. Finding a producer your fiance likes is the key.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    I've bought meat from a small farmer. They finished off their beef with some corn. It was wonderful. Check out your area maybe you can find something like that. I HATE factory farms too!!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    It depends on lots of things, type of animal, what and how it was fed and the way it was butchered.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    We get our meat from a local grass-fed and grass-finished farm. It's great - the biggest difference we see in taste is in ground beef. Hamburgers have a very different texture. The steaks and roasts are wonderful! I'd start with a smaller order to make sure you like it.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    I almost always eat pasture raised since I grew up on a farm. :P We had pigs, sheep (which we don't often use for meat, but my dad will butcher one if someone wants some lamb meat) chickens and the last few years cattle (though we usually got our beef from another farmer anyway). I notice a huge difference in meat. I can't stand a lot of store bought meat (especially not fast food hamburgers). I find a huge difference for sure in chickens though....that's a big one...which reminds me that I need to get some chicken from my dad. :P lol
  • Grass-fed meat is definitely the way to go! I hadn't had it for awhile and just had it this weekend and it tastes soooo much better than store bought meat! It's worth the little extra :)