Hot Tea - Appetite Reducer?

Options
Calling all Hot Tea drinkers.

Had anyone else found they tend to eat less when they drink a couple glasses of hot tea through out the day? My co-worker has been AWESOME enough to let me borrow his K-Cup machine so I've started drinking more tea again (Not Sugary...Green...Plain, typically). My appetite seems to have diminished.

Replies

• Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have heard green tea is supposed to help your metabolism.
  • NYCMom
    NYCMom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tea is also a diuretic. So if you have too much salt during the day, it will help your body to get rid of it. You will be peeing all day and night!!!
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I drink Jasmine Green Tea and Ceylon Tea....and yes they do diminish your appetite...for some sweetness I like to add a teaspoon of honey....and honey is good for you...
  • freshstart4me
    Options
    *runs to the store to get tea K cups*
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I think it certainly helps, having something hot to drink generally helps to keep my mind off of food.
  • johnfnord
    johnfnord Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea. Thanks for mentioning it. Aside from honey. Is Stevia a viable alternative to sugar?

thanks,
    John
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yep. Any hot liquid works for me, but tea is calorie-free (except I add a little honey), so it's the best choice.

I like to make a "snack," too, of warmed up light soy milk and a few scoops of Ovaltine. Yummy and filling.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 4 cups of tea a day, and definitely use it as a filler when I am hungry.
  • kerrydunning
    Options
    always have to have a couple of biscuits with my tea lol
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    we have a store here called Teopia, not sure where else might have it but they sell this tea called "Yerba Mate" (pronounce YER-ba ma-TAY) and it is amazing! one of the health benefits it lists is that it's an appetite suppressant, I try and have a cup every day with a bit of organic Agave nectar and a splash of milk. I usually try and have it after dinner, though I haven't had it in a while, I might have some tonight, see if it helps curb the snacking i've been tempted to do lately. I also find that the more i drink, especially hot drinks or water, the less hungry I feel, probably just cuz my stomach is full!
  • kerrydunning
    Options
    guava tea is the best by the way!!
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I drink ginger peach green tea (and other various green teas) through out the day. Ever since I have started, I have had more energy then when I drank soda (dispite the lower caffine amount), I have had reduced appetite (though this probably works better if you, like me, drink your tea unsweetened as the sugar you add to it can make you crash or get hungry), and I have been more clearheaded and focused. Also when everyone else got the beginning of fall office cold I didn't.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of vanilla chai tea at my desk at work. It definitely helps not only with appetite, but it's a pick me up when I am yawning at 2pm. :p
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I drink tea all day long. For me it's not an appetite suppressant. Tea has so many other good qualities. On a cold day I love a hot cup of chai with skim milk & a dash of honey. Who needs hot chocolate?
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    What awesome feedback!

Thanks everyone!! Glad I'm not alone!! I think I need more tea ;D
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea. Thanks for mentioning it. Aside from honey. Is Stevia a viable alternative to sugar?

thanks,
    John

I LOVE Stevia in the raw! It taste so much better than sugar I think! And it's zero everything! :)

Think I'm going to make some tea. Great day here for it. Very cloudy and rainy out!
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I drink loads of tea!

I used to go for the standard Brit builders tea, but it was starting to get silly and my teeth were starting to stain (added to which, not everyone I work with can make a decent brew!).

I drink mostly green or white tea now as well as the Dr Stuart Slim Plus and Pukka Cleanse ones. They definitely stop me snacking as much!

:drinker:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    See, this is something i really cant understand.

When i eat, it makes me thirsty.

When i drink, it makes me hungry.

My body always demands the opposite of what im currently doing. Im drinking, it wants food to go with it. Im eating, it wants drink to go with it.

I really don't get those that say water makes them less hungry!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think it certainly helps, having something hot to drink generally helps to keep my mind off of food.

agreed :) when i feel like snacking sometimes i will just get a mug of tea instead....
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

agreed :) when i feel like snacking sometimes i will just get a mug of tea instead....

Same here... I love tea (always trying new kinds!) and drink it allll the time. Keeps me from eating by keeping me occupied. I love Sweet Leaf Stevia drops in my tea (there's lemon, chocolate, plain and a ton of other flavors to enhance your drinks!)