Doubling Up Workouts

Options
Today, I'm covering for a co worker whose shift ends an hour later than mine. Getting home an hour later than I usually do means that I won't get in my full workout. Normally, I would just make it up tomorrow, but my schedule is off more than one day this week.

Thursday is my birthday, which means cake. I'm taking Friday off to go to the state fair and will miss my workout because that's an all day thing. Saturday is my normal rest day and sometimes the day that I make up for any missed workouts during the week, but I am going to be out for a good part of the day. Depending on what time I get home, I'll probably try to get a workout in, but I really can't predict that and don't want to depend on it. I will miss working out on Sunday as well because I'm going to an all day event.

So my question is, should I double up on my workouts on Thursday and Monday to make up for Friday and Sunday, especially since I'll be indulging more than usual over my mini vacation? Does that even work?

Replies

• KeepItOff4Life
    Options
    Maybe you could wake up earlier to get your workout in? I have a hectic schedule that gets thrown off often, and I've found that if I can get up early and knock it out then, I won't have to worry for the rest of the day. That also helps to improve my overall energy levels for the day.

I am working on 2 work outs a day, and I guess you could say it "works" since it's additional on top of whatever you're already doing.
  • warlocksmistress
    Options
    I don't see how a "double workout" could really hurt. But just do whatever you can fit in - something is better than nothing at all!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I trained for a Triathlon - In order to get all my work outs in, I had to double up some days. I hear women at the gym at lunch time talking about morning workouts they did that day. Nothing wrong with working out twice in one day - as long as you are listening to your body and not over-doing it.
  • rsuhayda
    Options
    Just work out for another 1/2.. You know, things come up in our lives..Just make it work next week.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Doubling up your workouts will definitely help you stay on track, especially if you know you may be increasing calories. Have a happy birthday!
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would'nt say "double up" persay, however, I would make the workout more intense. For example If I'm running on the treadmill I'd hike up the incline and/or speed a little more than usual (but safe of course). I also plan my schedule around my work out. I very rarely miss a work out-- due to schedule conflicts. You know in advnace so why not plan accordlingly?!?!? If someting is planned the same time as my work out I will go earlier. I've completed work outs as early as 5am to MAKE sure I get it in. It's just WORTH it to me... in the end I feel better and am glad I did. I hope this helps! ;0)
  • I agree! Try waking up and working out before work. I sometimes do that when I know I'll have something going on in the evening and won't get to do my workout. You may feel hesitant when that alarm clock goes off so early, but I promise you will only regret it if you don't work out! Good luck!
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and encouragment.

I guess I meant "work" in the sense of "Can working out extra on one day make up for another day?" Say I burn 500 calories during an average workout session. I know that I won't be able to work out the next day for whatever reason, so I do two, taking my calorie burn to 1,000. If I get super hungry from doing so and end up eating back some of the extra 500 calories, wouldn't that kinda negate the purpose of the extra workout? I'm just wondering about that from a physiological perspective.

I was thinking about this last night because I have no life and I remembered a post from someone in a similar position. One of the guys here who gives very good advice pointed out that your daily calories are your daily calories, so when you indulge, it's not detrimental if you stay within the calorie goal or don't go a crazy amount above it.

I'm fortunate to have a fairly high (1800) daily calorie allotment and I don't plan to have deep fried butter or anything like that at the fair. If I have say, oatmeal for breakfast and a salad for dinner on Friday, then I should be fine. And keeping in mind that I will be eating out three days instead of the usual one this week, I will endeavor to make healthier choices on Saturday and Sunday.

On Thursday, I'm going to throw in some extra cardio for the cake, do the resistance session that I would have done on Friday, and not worry about Friday's missed cardio. I've also decided that I will get a workout in on Saturday, even an abbreviated one, because I don't want to take three days in a row off. It's very easy to get back into the habit of *not* exercising and I don't want to start that slippery slope.