Water Pills

2»

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    @killerqueen17, if you feel like your weight loss efforts are "thwarted" and you have to have a "re-set" because of your period, it probably has less to do with water weight gain and more to do with overeating just before and/or during your period. Yes, we gain water weight at that time, but many of us experience cravings or are just flat out hungrier at that time as well. If you don't rein yourself in a bit on your food intake (or exercise more to compensate for increased food intake) you will see the scale go up, and it won't just be water weight. Just a thought.

@kysassyblonde1, I second the comments about water pills having less than desirous effects on our bodies. The fact that it's just my opinion doesn't mean it should be completely discounted. People's opinions don't have to be taken as gospel, but they can at least give you something to think about. Although I suppose if I had said, "I've never taken water pills, but in my opinion they're a good idea", then that would be OK.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,065 Member
    Water retention is normal during TOM, that bloated heavy feeling is awful but just be very careful with diuretics. I don't believe the risks are worth it because you will have to deal with this every month one way or another unless you become pregnant or go through menopause. I deal with it by drinking a little more water followed by coffee or tea.

Please watch out for taking ibuprofen with diuretics. From the Mayo Clinic:

Diuretics do have some side effects, however, and it's rare that water retention alone would warrant use of this type of medication. Be aware that taking ibuprofen or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and diuretics at the same time can cause kidney damage.
  • booksandchocolate12
    It's just been brought to my attention that this is a 2011 thread, so I doubt the OP is around anymore. :/
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    It's just been brought to my attention that this is a 2011 thread, so I doubt the OP is around anymore. :/

oops...the crazy thing though is that someone is probably still thinking about doing it in 2016 :).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

oops...the crazy thing though is that someone is probably still thinking about doing it in 2016 :).

Of course they are. "Magic weight loss" will never go out of style.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Yeaaaah, don't do that. Taking diuretics can mess up your electrolyte levels, especially potassium. Even if you do it short term. Just drink more water instead.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member

I thought about that too.. but, the person who revived this thread was asking for a recommendation for an over the counter diuretic today.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I know this is an old thread but I was prescribed a diuretic (furosemide) after a high risk pregnancy that involved hbp and edema. The doctor said that I had to keep hydrated while taking it because I could easily get into trouble if I didn't. Doesn't sound like something you should be taking flippantly during a period without fully understanding the side effects.
  • booksandchocolate12
    choppie70 wrote: »

I thought about that too.. but, the person who revived this thread was asking for a recommendation for an over the counter diuretic today.

True. Like @earlnabby said, the search for the Magic Pill is forever!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Who needs water pills when you could have...

3x83xiheuidk.jpg
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,065 Member
    Who needs water pills when you could have...

3x83xiheuidk.jpg

EXACTLY!!! :p

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    I'm happy with the pill I'm taking and only take a break 3-4 times per year. That's enough TOMs for me. There's no reason to go through this and feel miserable every month. Plus no monthly water gain, though lets me honest, it's usually not more than 2lbs for me, if at all. Main reason: massive improvement on quality of life.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    It seems like several people are thinking that water weight "stays" on you and you have to work it off. That's not how it works. If you start retaining water, you don't need to exercise that off. Exercise burns fat, not water weight.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    if you abuse them yes it will cause damage, that's with anything that you abuse. If you drink to much wine and beer you damage your liver people still do it, I know I have worked in abdominal transplant. I digress. Having the bloated feeling around the TOM is horrible. It makes you feel miserable. She just want some relief. Instead of taking two water pills take one. You dont have to take the entire dosage. Drink some dandelion and green tea also push more water. I am suffering now and as I type this feeling miserable I have my tea and water right here I took a waterpill this morning I felt fine until 1pm it wore off now gulping. You can use simply dont abuse.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I just wear my TOM pants/clothes and drink a ton of water.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    if you abuse them yes it will cause damage, that's with anything that you abuse. If you drink to much wine and beer you damage your liver people still do it, I know I have worked in abdominal transplant. I digress. Having the bloated feeling around the TOM is horrible. It makes you feel miserable. She just want some relief. Instead of taking two water pills take one. You dont have to take the entire dosage. Drink some dandelion and green tea also push more water. I am suffering now and as I type this feeling miserable I have my tea and water right here I took a waterpill this morning I felt fine until 1pm it wore off now gulping. You can use simply dont abuse.

You can throw off your electrolytes without abusing. Even one or two water tablets per day, taken over 3-4 days can cause electrolyte issues. Especially if you also drink more water. Like, 3-4 liters.