Need Tips to feel full

Options
I just started a diet program and am having great difficulty living on 1200 calories. :wink: I'm a senior working on staying in remission from Ovarian Cancer. If I don't lose 50 lbs. a.s.a.p. my chances of beating this cancer are greatly reduced. You would think that knowing my life is on the line would make it easier to diet. Sadly that's not the case. I'm constantly struggling to figure out what I can eat and not be hungry and thank G-d today I found baked beans. I baked the beans myself to reduce the calories (used Splenda). So if you're constantly hungry like moi have some beans with a large glass of water. If you have any other tips I'd love to hear from you.

Replies

• atag2011
    atag2011 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Definitely water, water, water. Also, try tea. For foods, look for things that are high in fiber/protein; they tend to keep you full for longer!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Go heavy on the veggies! Most of them are low in calories AND have vital cancer-fighting nutrients that your body will need in your battle!

You can beat this! Yes you can! :o)
  • trailgetter
    Options
    First of all...cheers to you for your remission!

I find that black beans are VERY filling. I was struggling the first two weeks feeling hungry (I'm also doing 1200 calories). You may start asking yourself if you are really hungry (like feeling the pain) or if you are bored and need to eat. Most of the time I was bored.

I started cutting celery sticks down the middle and into 3 sections...so I have LOTS of pieces to eat. Psychologically it's helped somehow.

Wishing you all the best!

Stephanie

10812856.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    eat a salad before your main meal, it will help.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Perhaps seeking out a hobby that requires a lot of time and focus such as reading, writing, drawing, etc? I eat less at work because I'm just too busy to think about food. At home, I'm a video gamer. When I start online on a game, I easily forget about things like eating. TV is too passive, I'd probably turn to eating if I wasn't engaged in actually doing something.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I think you really need to have your oncologist set you up with an appointment with one of their clinical nutritional counselors. This is what I do for a living, and after evaluating all of your history, they can come up with a plan that will not only be very filling, but VERY good for you. My mother currently has cancer, so I have seen it both from a clinical standpoint as well as a familial standpoint, and I wish you all the best in health.
  • kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you get into some sort of routine it should help you. Like always end your meal with a mint or something, and then, eventually, by just eating the mint even after a snack you'll feel like you're done eating.

Distraction also helps. If you can stop thinking about food, the hunger wont be so prevalent.

If all else fails, sugar free jello or raw veggies are great for when you just want to fill up, but not go way over your calories.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    fiber one bars with water, activia yogurt with water, fruits and veggies (I use to never believe this but now i eat a cup of fruit and a cup on veggies before all my meals and I am never able to finish my plate!
  • wagreen
    wagreen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi my hat goes off to you and I pray you will beat this. To feel full fiber helps everytime. So beans were a great choice. I found that portion size is what we really need to watch. Eat what you like but learn to downsize it and add healthy sides to it if possible. Sip water all day and walk walk walk. I found these things to help me and hope it helps you.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I like to make huge salads, lots of spinach and cut up veggies, and I'll add some beans or maybe some sort of meat or tuna. As long as you don't add some crazy dressing it can be very low in calories.

It helps it you eat things where you get a lot for not many calories. It's also a good idea not to go longer than 4 hours without eating. Drinking at least 2 liters of water and having a few different types of herbal teas (for the flavor) help too.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Perhaps seeking out a hobby that requires a lot of time and focus such as reading, writing, drawing, etc? I eat less at work because I'm just too busy to think about food. At home, I'm a video gamer. When I start online on a game, I easily forget about things like eating. TV is too passive, I'd probably turn to eating if I wasn't engaged in actually doing something.

This is so very true!
    Also, I started eating a vegan diet in the last 2 weeks and I always feel so full! Veggies and lentils really do fill you up, it's great!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Fiber and WATER--in all its forms!

My favorite breakfast is 2 tbsp oatmeal, 1 tbsp ground flax flour, plus 100 grams of frozen blueberries. Throw in the some water, zap it in the microwave for 3 minutes, and it's incredibly filling--I eat brekky ~ 6:30 a.m. and never have hunger issues until well past noon.

I'm also a big celery and carrot stick girl. Eat 100 grams of each just about every day-- a good substitute for salty or sweet snacks after lunch.

Water wise, I find that if I guzzle down a big 12-oz glass when I'm feeling noshy, the feeling will often pass without needing to eat something. I'll also drink decaffeinated tea hot for the same reason.

I'm also a big "anything can be soup" fan-- say, a can of tomatoes with some mushrooms and spinach added to it plus some water or chicken broth, and I feel like I'm eating a HUGE amount of food, but it's mostly water.

And speaking of spinach, if it's hot, I'll probably consider adding a cup of frozen spinach to it for added fiber and fillingness. Spinach and an egg, yep; spinach added to beans, yep; spinach on top of a chicken breast, yep. Spinach and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese as a snack, yep. Spinach added to just about any canned soup on existence-- yep. But I'm just a real spinach fan.
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Progresso soup -> 2 cups of soup (this is a lot, try it) 160 calories. Flavorful and will give you a full feeling. I always put some extra protein in with it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of getting support too. You want to make sure you're eating what's suggested to best help with your recovery.
    Very few of us here are experts so you're better off getting your advice from professionals for your specific need.

I will say though that protein really helps me stay full longer, especially when I start my day with something like an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich or protein enriched cereal like Kashi.

Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    eat less often and bigger meals
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    First of all...cheers to you for your remission!

I find that black beans are VERY filling. I was struggling the first two weeks feeling hungry (I'm also doing 1200 calories). You may start asking yourself if you are really hungry (like feeling the pain) or if you are bored and need to eat. Most of the time I was bored.

I started cutting celery sticks down the middle and into 3 sections...so I have LOTS of pieces to eat. Psychologically it's helped somehow.

Wishing you all the best!

Stephanie

10812856.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I just made a Turkey Chili if that helps! Come add me ;-)
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to remember your quote when I'm having a bad day and can't seem to control my eating. " I'm the Ruler"
  • daisy0482
    daisy0482 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    if its not enough food reduce your weekly weight loss and it will add more calories. Slow and steady wins the prize!! :))

best of luck!! your in the right place :)
  • TanyaDelAngel
    TanyaDelAngel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Veggies don't forget to count your calories 3 cups of green beans 150 calories and that will fill you not Kidding!