KT Tape

So I think I'm potentially getting a posterior shin splint on my right shin. I've been pretty good about icing it after runs, and using the treadmill on my easy runs to take some of the pressure off.

The KT tape claims to reduce the pressure on the area during runs, to help prevent further damage and to also aid in healing. Has anyone tried it? I don't hurt enough to stop training, but would like to mitigate the issue before it gets worse. :)

Replies

• Renise01
    Renise01 Posts: 39 Member
    Not sure about the KT Tape - but you might also try running on grass occasionally. That may help!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    KimertRuns13_1 Posts: 702 Member
    I know this doesn't help right now BUT I just read something about KT tape (maybe on a blog) earlier this morning. Let me go back through my blog roll and see if I can find the article, then I will message you!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Is it this stuff that I have on my arm? I call it muscle tape. And it's great!!!!!
  • dbharr
    dbharr Posts: 2 Member
    I am a Navy Physical Therapy Tech & I work for a Therapist that loves Kinesio tape. Until I worked for her I mostly only worked with McConnell Taping, it’s a more aggressive style that essentially holds what you tape in a spot you want. With K-tape it’s far less aggressive and is more assistive. Both are good for different things. Having worked with K-tape more now I've seen a good deal of people with good results using it, some have had immediate relief. For shin pain I think the K-tape would be the better way to go. I recommend either finding someone that is familiar with the techniques or looking on you tube for videos showing placement for your specific injury. I also am not really a fan of the pre-cut style you can buy. You can usually get better results getting a roll & cutting to the size you need. Also it’s a good idea to be freshly shaven & use an alcohol base hand sanitizer or something similar to reduce the oils in your skin. It will help stick it longer. Good luck with whatever you choose to go with.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Is it this stuff that I have on my arm? I call it muscle tape. And it's great!!!!!

Yup, that's it!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I was attending a sports therapist for a shoulder injury, and he used it to basically give my shoulder joints and moving parts more "room to breathe" as it were. I found it really helped to improve the degree of movement I had.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I use Rock tape on my knee, which I think is the same kind of thing.
    It's been really helpful for me, but it would probably be wise to see a physiotherapist to see if that is best for you and how/where to apply it.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Thanks for the replies. I found the tape at the local sporting goods store, and a very informative video on you tube. ;)
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 583 Member
    I just searched for further advice about KT tape and came cross this thread. Thank you thank you for the posts they were very helpful in my decision to break into my free sample for my ankle issue :-)