Just can't get past this

Options
dang plateau!

And please don't direct me to the search box. I know all about it, thanks. :wink:

From January to mid- August I lost 44 pounds. Fairly easily. Eat well, exercise a lot. I averaged 1.5 pounds lost per week.
I'm now on week 5 of a bitter stalemate with the scale.

I'm 5'11", online calculators say my BMR is around 1820. I eat 2000 calories a day, plus some of my exercise calories.

In a typical week I hit the gym 4 times, for 90 minutes of working out - I usually do 30-40 minutes on the ARC, 10-15 minutes rowing, 10 minutes on the arm crank thing (arm pedal? not sure what the name is for that), walk/run on the track or on the treadmill (and always with an incline).

I also toss in an occasional dvd - 30DS, Shred It with Weights. I take long walks with my kids - in our hilly neighborhood.
I do weights also, though it's not my emphasis, weight training is definitely part of my mix.

I always wear a Polar HRM for my workouts, so I am certainly getting an accurate account of my calorie burn.
Up until last week I was also wearing BodyMedia Fit 23 hours a day.
I am meticulous with my calorie counting - I weigh all my food, etc.

I've averaged a daily calorie deficit of 600. Through these weeks I have had a couple high calorie (refeed) days (only once having an actual SURPLUS of calories - by 200), along with a couple lower calorie days (but never going below BMR). I naturally seem to follow a calorie zig-zag thing.

I sleep well.
I drink a lot of water.
I am eat clean 90% of the time.

My thyroid levels have been checked and are all normal.

I'm not losing inches during this plateau - my clothes are fitting exactly the same.

So frustrated! Has anyone else been doing all the right things and still gotten "stuck"?? How long did it last?

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Losing weight, especially a low calorie eating plan is a TRAUMA to the Body. Like all traumas, it needs healing time, this is why we have "Stalls"...Your Body is healing. I suggest allowing it to come back on its own...but many people always think that they need to "Shock" the Body into losing again. I wait it out...maybe that's why I have had success losing wt and keeping it off...I tend to listen to My Body, NOW.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am in a similiar boat except my plateau has been for about 2 months... maybe 2.5 now. I tried switching things up and many other things but even with the calorie deficit, I did not lose. I finally got sick of it and about 2 weeks ago decided to eat to maintain instead of lose. I've even enjoyed sweets which I had given up... last week I lost a pound, so I'm hoping that I might've broken it - but won't know until Friday when I weigh in again.

Good luck!
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    try nnot eating back ALL your exercise calories...
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    well...try working out with ankle weights, and with weights on your wrists when you do cardio....it pushes your body harder, and might "trick" it to help you get over that slump.....or you can try maybe eating 2100 cals one day and 1900 the next? criss crossing has helped some get over the plateu
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    grr double post
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am in a similiar boat except my plateau has been for about 2 months... maybe 2.5 now. I tried switching things up and many other things but even with the calorie deficit, I did not lose. I finally got sick of it and about 2 weeks ago decided to eat to maintain instead of lose. I've even enjoyed sweets which I had given up... last week I lost a pound, so I'm hoping that I might've broken it - but won't know until Friday when I weigh in again.

Good luck!
    Ironical but could be lots of truth in it. :) I should try this one. LOL
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    In line with PP, maybe go to maintenance for a week and lighten your workouts for a week. Give your body a chance to catch up. Then go back at it full intensity next week. Even professional athletes have to cycle their workouts because eventually your body peaks and needs a break or you don't really get much more out of it.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My last one just ended this week...it lasted 8 weeks. What finally got the scale moving this time was lowering my calorie goal to 1100 and having a midweek day (Wed for me, I weigh in on Sunday AM) maintenance level day (1940 for me) and another maintenance calorie level day (1940) on Sunday. I have also changed up my exercise routine a bit (sometimes this can mean adding in a couple rest days--your maintenance days are good days for that!). It's frustrating, but it happens.
    The key is to push through it. What helps me with the frustration is reminding myself that even when I am at goal weight & maintaining, I will still have to keep doing exactly what I am doing now, so what difference does it make? We will get "there" eventually...IF we don't EVER give up!
  • vettechclaire
    Options
    I hear ya! I have also hit a plateau - I just keep telling myself "stay the course" . Keep at it and you can't go wrong. I also find that my exercise took a huge hit. I did it, but the motivation wasn't there. So now I enjoy it for what it is. Keeping my body moving - I wnet for a hike/trail run this morning and instead of thinking of all the calories I was burning and the inches I was going to lose I just enjoyed it. I had such a wonderful time, the other stuff didn't matter. Not sure if this helps but I hope it does. :)
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Losing weight, especially a low calorie eating plan is a TRAUMA to the Body. Like all traumas, it needs healing time, this is why we have "Stalls"...Your Body is healing. I suggest allowing it to come back on its own...but many people always think that they need to "Shock" the Body into losing again. I wait it out...maybe that's why I have had success losing wt and keeping it off...I tend to listen to My Body, NOW.
    Completely agree. Once your body gets adjusted the weight will start melting off you. I know it's easier said than done. But keep at it, don't despair. It will happen.
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I would eat at maintenance level for a week. I've heard that it will really jump start your system, and then when you drop back down to your usual calorie goal your body will be in high gear.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    You're eating a lot of food.

I've never averaged that many calories, even when I was trying to lose weight. Since July 1, I've been "in maintenance". I trained for a half-marathon that I ran in August and am now training for a marathon in December. Take a look at my diary and I think you'll find that my calorie intake is lower than yours.

Just out of interest — I did a Resting Body Rate to check my calories. I assume it was accurate 'cause it was a dedicated machine. It picked up that I was low on carbs and told me that my metabolism was slightly elevated. Both of those are true so the machine has some cred with me.

My RMR is 1958 vs my MFP number of 2230. If MPF is "off" for me, it might be "off" for you. Dunno.

Since you're not losing weight, how about eating less food?

Also, just 'cause you have an HRM, doesn't mean that it's accurate. Does you HRM measure calories based on heart rate? If not, that's a source of inaccuracy I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and I thought it was accurate. Nope. It's formula based so it could be accurate but it's most likely quite inaccurate.

BTW, my weight loss stats are here:

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

I did a low calorie diet (800-1k net cals/day) and had a superb weight loss experience.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    Last year about this time, I had just finished Week 9 of P90X and big-time dieting and I ran into some problems with my daughter and I just QUIT everything. Quit working out and quit watching what I was eating. I didn't choose to but I did and guess what? I lost 5 more lbs that week!
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    well...try working out with ankle weights, and with weights on your wrists when you do cardio....it pushes your body harder, and might "trick" it to help you get over that slump.....or you can try maybe eating 2100 cals one day and 1900 the next? Cris-crossing has helped some get over the plateau

Be careful with ankle weights they are a risk for strain and injury. Hand weights or a weight vest are actually a better option if you want to add weight to your workout.
  • suse56
    Options
    Don't use ankle weights unless you are laying on the floor doing leg exercises. No cardio with leg weights.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    dang plateau!

And please don't direct me to the search box. I know all about it, thanks. :wink:

From January to mid- August I lost 44 pounds. Fairly easily. Eat well, exercise a lot. I averaged 1.5 pounds lost per week.
    I'm now on week 5 of a bitter stalemate with the scale.

I'm 5'11", online calculators say my BMR is around 1820. I eat 2000 calories a day, plus some of my exercise calories.

In a typical week I hit the gym 4 times, for 90 minutes of working out - I usually do 30-40 minutes on the ARC, 10-15 minutes rowing, 10 minutes on the arm crank thing (arm pedal? not sure what the name is for that), walk/run on the track or on the treadmill (and always with an incline).

I also toss in an occasional dvd - 30DS, Shred It with Weights. I take long walks with my kids - in our hilly neighborhood.
    I do weights also, though it's not my emphasis, weight training is definitely part of my mix.

I always wear a Polar HRM for my workouts, so I am certainly getting an accurate account of my calorie burn.
    Up until last week I was also wearing BodyMedia Fit 23 hours a day.
    I am meticulous with my calorie counting - I weigh all my food, etc.

I've averaged a daily calorie deficit of 600. Through these weeks I have had a couple high calorie (refeed) days (only once having an actual SURPLUS of calories - by 200), along with a couple lower calorie days (but never going below BMR). I naturally seem to follow a calorie zig-zag thing.

I sleep well.
    I drink a lot of water.
    I am eat clean 90% of the time.

My thyroid levels have been checked and are all normal.

I'm not losing inches during this plateau - my clothes are fitting exactly the same.

So frustrated! Has anyone else been doing all the right things and still gotten "stuck"?? How long did it last?
    Totally change your workout. It seems that cardio is your main stay and if you protein intake isn't .8 grams per pound of body weight, then you're catabolizing muscle which lowers your BMR. Do cardio no more than 45-60 min max and make strength training your focus now. Lift first then cardio. Do basic compound movements (squats, deadlifts, rows, etc.) and mix in a couple of isolation exercises. Train each body part at least once a week. It works.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Totally change your workout. It seems that cardio is your main stay and if you protein intake isn't .8 grams per pound of body weight, then you're catabolizing muscle which lowers your BMR. Do cardio no more than 45-60 min max and make strength training your focus now. Lift first then cardio. Do basic compound movements (squats, deadlifts, rows, etc.) and mix in a couple of isolation exercises. Train each body part at least once a week. It works.
    [/quote]

I appreciate you advice. I get in around 140g of protein a day, which is about forty short of where your .8 rec would put me.

I am trying to work in more weights, but I struggle by not knowing really what to do. Cardio is so easy to figure out. :smile: At some point I'd like to have a trainer show me the ropes, but that isn't in the card$ right now.
    Does it make any difference from a weight training Vs. cardio standpoint by selecting a high resistance setting on cardio machines? When I am doing ARC/rowing/pedaling I am always cranking the resistance up as high as I can manage.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to say thank you to everyone else who shared experiences and commiserated with me. :smile:

I'm not even remotely close to giving up, but still so frustrated all the same. I remind myself daily that I already look 100 times better and FEEL 1000 times better than where I began, and that keeps me going when the scale fails to motivate. :)