But...I'm not hungry!

Options
I've been following a South Beach based diet for 2 weeks and exercising daily. I started tracking religiously this week and I am finding myself coming up with a large calorie deficit every day. On Saturday I had a net of 790 and yesterday it was 839. So far today I am carrying a net of 76 with only dinner left to go (dinner will be a grilled chicken breast, quinoa with veggies, and a sugar free Jello pudding, totaling maybe 600 calories.

I feel satisfied, not light headed, and I have a ton of energy. I really don't know where to go to add in all of these extra calories. My daily goal is already at the minimum 1,200 per day.

How do I get these extra calories in without adding back the things that made me fat in the first place? I'm already eating cottage cheese, almonds, fruit, veggies, peanut butter, and meats. I'm starting to add back whole grains like whole wheat bagels and Kashi cereal, but even with those I'd be coming up short.

I don't want to cut back on the exercise because my daily gym time is how I maintain my sanity. I NEED to sweat every day or I :explode:

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Maybe a small handful of almonds?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Either you will have to eat more, or add back in higher calorie dense foods if you don't want to cut back on exercise.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My mind is boggling at not being able to eat 1200 :) That said, try a few tablespoons of a natural peanut butter. For the amount of food it's a ton of calories and not really that bad for you.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I always feel hungry - can you give me your menu for the day?
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out why you want to eat more.

I routinely ate 800-1k cals/day (net) and had a superb weight loss experience.

If you're eating as much as you want and you're not feeling any ill effects, don't force yourself to eat more.

My diet, when I was losing weight, was modeled after the approach taken by Lindora here in California. They've been in business for over 40 years and have helped hundreds of thousands of people lose weight (and keep it off!) on diets of 800 to 1k net cals/day.

I'm not against eating 1200 calories a day because it's a great way to lose weight (for most people) but lots and lots of folks have lost weight (many here on MFP) eating a low calorie diet.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of almonds too! I would eat more if the weren't so expensive. I also love peanut butter and it on on celery every day.
  • Desiree0211
    Options
    Conventional wisdom, and pretty much any health expert, will say you need to eat those calories or you'll experience fatigue, lower your metabolism, etc. But I have been in the SAME boat, and I think maintaining a larger-than-normal calorie deficit when you are working out a lot is not going to ruin your life. But you'll probably be better off if you do some of the following:

Add nuts or eggs to your diet wherever you can. These are healthy items that will pad your calories without adding a lot of bulk to your meal. Olive oil and avocados are also good bets.

Eat some of the things that "made you fat." In moderation, they are not going to kill you, especially if you're smart about it. I started ending calorie-deficit days with organic dark chocolate. It gave me more energy and made me feel indulged, so I was able to continue with my healthy plan without feeling deprived.

When I used to commute, I would spend an hour in the gym everyday to beat traffic. It was great at first because I dropped a lot of weight and I felt strong. But then I started to get too thin, and so I started eating ridiculously indulgent foods once a week. Like, chili dogs and decadent desserts. It worked for me, and I maintained a healthy body until I relocated and wasn't commuting anymore. ;)
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would be great if your diary was public and then we could look and see where you were at such a deficit
  • skylark94
    Options
    I always feel hungry - can you give me your menu for the day?

This is a a pretty typical day.

Breakfast
    Celery - Raw, 1 cup chopped
    Jif - Creamy Peanut Butter , 2 tablespoons

Lunch
    Romaine Lettuce - Romaine Lettuce - 2 Cups,
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 1 cup, chopped or diced
    Hidden Valley - Salad Dressing-Ranch, 2 tbsp

Dinner
    Kroger - Ground Chuck 80/20, 4 oz
    Publix Brand - String Cheese, 1 stick
    Eat Smart - Broccoli Florets Fresh Cut, 6 oz.

Snacks
    Publix - Low Fat Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup
    Emerald - Cinnamon Roast Almonds, 1 oz
    Publix - No Sugar Added Fudge Pop, 1 pop

Totals 1,290
    Your Daily Goal 1,700
    Remaining 410 1
  • skylark94
    Options
    I would be great if your diary was public and then we could look and see where you were at such a deficit

Done! Please feel free to comment!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I only saw a couple of days of your diary — it looks as "exciting" as mine. :-)

My diary is open to the public, if you'd care to view it. It worked quite nicely for me!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I thought that one of the great things about South Beach is that you don't have to worry about calories? Am I wrong about that? Hmmm.

(for the record, that diet was not for me! But I loved not tracking)
  • skylark94
    Options
    I thought that one of the great things about South Beach is that you don't have to worry about calories? Am I wrong about that? Hmmm.

(for the record, that diet was not for me! But I loved not tracking)

I actually started tracking out of concern that I was not eating enough rather than too much. They do say that it is not necessary to count calories as long as you watch portions. I also think it is important, at least in the beginning, for me to track so I can get a clear idea of how much and how often I am eating. I used to eat nothing and not feel hungry until dinner, then pig out on high carb, high fat meals in huge portions.