how often do you have a "cheat" day/meal?

Options

Replies

• JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I try to have no more than one cheat day a week. Sometimes I fail on weekends but it definitely helped me with a plateau I was on for awhile! :P
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Never.

yeah sure, that's realistic and I totally believe you
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's really about how you look at food; I no longer look at food and use the word "cheat"- if I do not make the healthiest of choices, I get back on track the next day. Health/ fitness is all about balance: food, exercise, & attitude (quantity & quantity of each one matters too). My true successes began when I changed my attitude towards food, exercise, & myself.

That would be my recipe for success!
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Once a week... and I cheat heavily without feeling guilty. I still lose the pounds I want to lose, I just avoid the scale the day after. ;o)

i agree! the weekend i "cheated" i actually lost the following week.

Ditto! I ALWAYS lose more that week after I've had something naughty that weekend! :D
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't consider having a treat a "cheat". This is a long term life style change. It has to be sustainable. If I was really strict on myself I would never last. I would just fall off the wagon, give up, and gain it all back.

This!!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i never have a cheat day i just eat whatever i want as long as i can budget it into my calories.. im glad some people do though i just feel like if i do ill be letting myself down so i dont.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday is my eat whatever the heck I want day. I've followed this routine for years with success. Come MOnday I'm back on the fitness wagon and stick to a very disciplined healthy diet and fitness program.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't consider having a treat a "cheat". This is a long term life style change. It has to be sustainable. If I was really strict on myself I would never last. I would just fall off the wagon, give up, and gain it all back.

this is a fabulous way to view it! i will stop calling it a "cheat meal" and start calling it a TREAT meal!!! i agree, if i was super strict and never allowed myself one of those days, i wouldn't make it.
  • missikay1970
    Options
    sorry double post
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

This!!

+1
  • missikay1970
    Options
    Honestly, I used to allow myself a cheat day or meal but now if I see something that I want I eat it. i don't deprive myself and I eat in moderation. Its not an everyday thing, or once a week, or once a month but I dont deprive myself or force myself to wait til that special day either. Do what works for you

i was going to try this method, but honestly, i do better when i completely deprive myself until my cheat-day. if i see a cake, i would rathet not have any than to have a small piece. i just feel better about myself at the end of the day when i've done well. then, the guilt doesn't hit when i go to James Coney Island! LOL
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't ever deprive myself from what I want. I just balance it out. If I want a piece or cake or something I just make sure do my exercise part to offset it.
    that's why at times I say to myself is it worth it and then I just put the cake down and walk away.. just walk away :)

Same here! Although yesterday I went over by *gasp* 11 calories LOL That was my "cheat day." I didn't really exercise and went to red lobster's shrimp fest. MmmmMmmm!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Whats the point? If you eat right and get some exercise there is no reason to not eat what you want. I eat fast food but I make better decisions about what Im eating. If I know Im going out that night for dinner, I plan a light breakfast and lunch. Ive been on this site for 6 weeks now with a total loss of 25 lbs. I have yet to go over on my calories. At a starting weight of 340 lbs, that wasnt easy.

I look at the cheat day as 2 steps forward and 1 step back. The thing is, I never want to go back to the way I was.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want when I want.. and so far it's been working for me.

I know that I can not go long stretches eating just healthy food.. I'd get bored. So once or twice a week(or sometimes more!) I'll eat out and let my body have what it's craving. Once that happens and it's over, then it's over.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days/meals. if I want something, I budget it like others have said. I went out to Mexican this weekend and had an enchilada with rice and beans... 1010 calories for the meal! yikes! but I walked 4 miles that morning and I stayed under for the day.

but everyone is different. for me, feeling deprived makes it easier for me to overindulge. if I allow myself whatever it is, track it and work it into my calories I feel better for making a good decision... and I enjoy my Mexican food, or chocolate bar, or truffle... or whatever. no resentments, no guilt :)
  • missikay1970
    Options
    I personally wouldn't call it cheating as cheating is not being honest with yourself (you know those sneaky wee nibbles that noone seen so they don't count) I would call it living... So far I've stuck faithfully to it... but that's only because I'm still early stages and I don't trust myself yet lol (but that's not to say I won't)

yes this is so true. and i am honest about everything. i won't even eat a single M&M when no one is looking (example only)
    i think you really hit it for me as far as the word cheat. like the other post said, "treat not cheat" thanks everyone for your input!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    On a 'cheat day', so you go over your calorie goal, or do you mean just eat something you've refrained from eating the rest of the time? I will eat a Whataburger (mainly Texas chain) once in a while and feel like I'm cheating, but I still keep the day within my goal. For me a cheat day would be a day I didn't even think about calories. I haven't done that yet.
  • kerri007
    Options
    i do a cheat meal every 10 days. helps me keep focus
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i "cheat," but i always log my calories, and try to at least go for healthy options. no 6 pack of beer and a whole pizza. i find that even when i cheat, i'm still being good in terms of calories consumed. and if i know i'm going to go to a party or bbq were i will be tempted, then i do a big burn in the morning.
  • missikay1970
    Options
    On a 'cheat day', so you go over your calorie goal, or do you mean just eat something you've refrained from eating the rest of the time? I will eat a Whataburger (mainly Texas chain) once in a while and feel like I'm cheating, but I still keep the day within my goal. For me a cheat day would be a day I didn't even think about calories. I haven't done that yet.

a cheat day for me was not going to the gym, not looking at calories AT ALL, and eating whatever i wanted. i've done that once so far. my husband said it's key to his success, because he never feels deprived. he always looks forward to his favorite meal, and doesn't have to log-in calories or worry for that day.

there have been times when i have had to exercise more on a particular day in order to keep under calorie goal/not go over, but i dont' consider that cheating. to me, the original post was about actually eating anything you want, and not logging-it or exercising it off that day.