C25K?

Options
I am going to be starting my first training session for a C25K program tonight and I was curious how those who have done this before felt about the program. Is there any particular week that was hard to push through? Did you enjoy it? Tips for being successful at this? I'm really nervous to start running again and I was hoping for some encouraging stories and ideas for making this a fun experience!

Replies

• MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just completed the C25K. I have never been a runner, mostly because it was an intense struggle for me. I have never been overweight, but have been out of shape for a long time. When I started the program 9 weeks ago, I very literally struggled with even the 60 and 90 second runs in week 1. Honestly, just about every part of the first 5 weeks was a challenge.

I was so afraid of the 20 minute run but I made myself complete every run throughout the program no matter how much I wanted to stop and I could not believe it when I actually completed the 20 minutes. I was slow, but I did it. I did repeat one of the days with the 8 minute run (W5D2 I think) because I just wanted to do it one more time before moving up to the next day.

Weeks 8 and 9 are moving up from 25 minute runs to 28 and 30 minutes. I jumped ahead once I got to week 8 and just started running until I wanted to stop. This morning I ran 4 miles in 40:11. Whenever I run, I find that the first mile and a half or so is still a bit of a struggle. After that it gets easier. I still get bored though and while I enjoy running for about 2-3 miles, I don't think distance running is in my future.

The C25K is truly an amazing program and it works. I will add, though that I think one of the things that helped me was doing circuit training on the days I didn't run. Short sprints and HIIT workouts are magical.

Congratulations on starting the C25K and good luck with it!
  • Ingridriddle
    Options
    I use the program as well...and LOVE IT! I am not a runner either...but really would like to be! I actually repeat days until I feel like I can do it comfortably. I use mine on the treadmill...and since I am pretty tall i have a pretty good stride...so even though I am not at the constant 28-30 minute run...I average about 3 miles in a little under 36 minutes...I NEVER would have gotten to that point with out this progran though. I also learned that on my IPhone you need to turn your music on first and then the program so that the program will chime through and mute your volume to tell you your next hurtle! Good luck..enjoy it...start off with a slower stride so you do not burn out to quickley!
  • almaaisling
    Options
    I started last Monday. I'm hooked. I love it.

But your legs are gonna be sore. It will go away.
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    Week 5, Day 3 was terrifying, was dreading it from the beginning of week 4. However i did it and i think it gave me the confidence to finish the rest. I can now confidently run 5k (best time 27.20 on treadmill).

Good luck, stick with it, don’t be afraid to repeat anything.
  • BackToPreBaby
    Options
    I did it after i had my litle one andi loved every second of it!
    I have to admit my legs killed in the begining but after the first week i promise it got better and better. KEEP IT GOING ! you will do great!
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    Options
    It has really helped me. I had gotten up to the end of week 5 but had to stop. I just recently started over and tomorrow is my W4D1. There are still some days that I dread doing it but feel amazing once I have actually completed it.

I have the free app for my droid, it is ok. But like a previous poster said, turn everything else on first and then start up the app.

I always make sure I have a great play list, it makes the time go so much smoother.
    Good luck!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 2 tonight. I had to do week one for 2 weeks as I am not a runner and did not feel comfortable moving up. But I am looking forward to week 2.

Good luck and since I am not far ahead you can friend me if you wish and we can motivate each other.

Also my weight loss has picked up since I started this