A TON of Weight To Loose...

Options
Hey Everyone,

My name's Tom, and while I'm not too sure about this whole message board thing I thought that I would introduce myself nonetheless.

I'm about a month into this journey of changing my life style, my eating habits, and hopefully my relationship to food. I have about 150 lbs to loose - I say about, because I'm not sure. I don't want to set a goal that size because it feels like I'll be setting myself up for failure. So, I'm starting out with intermediate goals that seem to make sense and once I get there I set another one, but I know that the mountain I'm climbing is a high one.

I had pretty much lost hope and given up.

I've gained and lost 50-60lbs at least a half-dozen times over the years - HUGELY unhealthy, I understand. I had started another regimen of Atkins 4 or 5 months ago and a month into it was not having any success, not enjoying what I was eating, and was pretty much miserable. And so, I pretty much gave up. I couldn't see a solution that I could actually do, a strategy that I could try where I wasn't miserable and that seemed like it had a reasonable chance.of success.

I had considered surgery, something I never thought I would do. I had tried this, tried that, etc etc. I know, a familiar story.

I hadn't tried calorie counting. Weird, huh?! Let me explain. My image of calorie counting was (APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE PLEASE!) skinny women obsessing over 5 lbs they needed to loose, eating celery sticks, and just being plain miserable. I was so far past that on a downhill spiral that I couldn't even start to look at that option intelligently.

Then a friend introduced me to myfitnesspal, and immediately after that to fat2fitradio.com. So... here's a thought... how about figuring out how you much you would need to eat and how you would need to live as a healthy you at the weight you would like to be - then begin eating at that level NOW. Theory being that eventually you would BECOME that person. Makes sense to me!? I started calculating BMR, trying to figure out the calories I need to eat - NOT to starve, NOT to loose weight quick (that does work short term, but my failure rate was 100% - I gained back every pound I ever lost).

So, to make a longer story short, my wife and I have been giving it a go. I'm eating healthier, I feel good, I'm losing weight, I'm enjoying the foods I'm eating, and most of all - I have hope again. Every diet I've ever been on in the past I knew in the back of my mind that I could NOT live long term like I was eating at the time. This is different. I'm not on a diet, I'm just trying to change the way I live, and move, and eat.

I think I can do this - really! That is so huge. I get discouraged, as all of us do, and I know I will again. My biggest challenge right now is that I have to MENTALLY WRENCH myself away from a quick-fix mind set and into a LONG TERM mindset. If I focus on the right behaviors, every day, and eat and move like the healthy person I want to become, I'll get there eventually. (OH, BTW, I am 55 years old, 6 ft. tall, started at 342lbs.)

I have discovered the term "Morbidly Obese". Ouch. It is so hard to write those words, but it is what it is, and my denial doesn't fix anything. Owning the reality of what I've done to myself is part of my journey to change. That's where I am, but that's not who I am, and that's not where I'm going.

I have hope again. And I'm introducing myself because I know there will be days when I don't.

Thanks for reading,
Tom

Replies

• dpedi
    dpedi Posts: 37
    Options
    Good luck!
  • Hurrricanejane
    Options
    Congratulations on the 17lbs you lost!

I'm new to MFP, but it is very motivating. You can do it. :))
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can feel really good about this decision. :o) Good luck!
  • DawnLosing
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on taking the first step!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tom!!
  • jennybaby1982
    Options
    Welcome! :)
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi Tom

Congrats on taking the first step and loosing the weight. It is not easy for any of us but this program sure helps
    03258 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hey Tom.

Welcome. I can so relate to a lot of what you wrote. Especially the losing and gaining and losing and gaining. UGH. So hard to get motivated to get back to it.

I too struggle with how to stay motivated. And struggle with the long term committment thing. I want it off NOW. LOL

I really like this site though.

Good luck with your weight loss and congrats on the weight you have lost so far.
    03258 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hey Tom.

Welcome. I can so relate to a lot of what you wrote. Especially the losing and gaining and losing and gaining. UGH. So hard to get motivated to get back to it.

I too struggle with how to stay motivated. And struggle with the long term committment thing. I want it off NOW. LOL

I really like this site though.

Good luck with your weight loss and congrats on the weight you have lost so far.
  • ArtistisTrista
    ArtistisTrista Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tom, great for you and your wife! Take the smalls steps you need to. That's the best way to success when it comes to weight loss. (: The people on MFP are wonderfully supportive as I've noticed. They also have helpful tips and advice too! Don't be afraid to ask about anything!

Keep up the great work!
  • hjfischer
    Options
    You are doing great so far. Keep up the good work, stay motivated. I am sure you both will do wonderfully.
  • shebee25
    shebee25 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tom, your story really touched my heart. It is a hard journey in so many ways but the rewards are so worth it. Good luck and don't let this defeat you.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Sounds like you have a really great plan. I know that in the long run you can stick with this and get where you want to be. It does take time, but you are worth it.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! We all need encouragement and support and there's no better group of people than you'll find here. feel free to friend me, I'm 47 and discouraged REALLY quickly and need a push on track every now and then too!
  • kwaters7
    Options
    Hey Tom! You are very welcome on this site, will get loads of support and accountability on it. All the very best of luck!!! You're approach seems very sensible so just hang in there....
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    It seems to be the day for people who need to lose 150pds today I'm in the same boat but i started at 362 and am now 327.2 still have a long way to go if you d like you can add me as a friend good luck
  • Rhonda_K_K
    Rhonda_K_K Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow your story sounds so much like mine. I've been on all the diets that you can imagine and for what ever reason I never tried calorie counting either. I am so addicted to MFP. I log everything in on a daiy basis. I'm not calling it a "diet" nor will I ever go on another diet. This is truly my new lifestyle.
    I want to wish you much success on your new journey in life.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this. I joined for a lot of the same reasons you did - I needed a change I could live with, not something short term. I use the term change, not diet, intentionally. I don't look at this as a "diet", but as an awareness of my diet. We all have those days we falter, but the longer you stay with this, the fewer you'll probably find those to be. There is always hope. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Just take one day at a time : )
  • melzee76
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far & congrats on finding the inspiration you were needing, I wish you all the best & look forward to seeing your results :smile: