Hello All -- Having fun w/ MFP, but losing wt is challenging

Spartan518
Spartan518 Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2 in Introduce Yourself
Been on MFP for a couple of weeks now, and seem to have lost a miniscule amount of weight. Am killing the cardio and weights, but I may be starving my BMR by limiting myself to 1250 cal/day.

Any suggestions...anyone...anyone :)

Replies

• surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Can't see your food or exercise logs, but I suspect you need to eat more. (I'm sure that is music to your ears.) 1250 is pretty low for a guy, especially if you're really working out a lot. A lot of folks at mfp talk about eating their exercise calories back. I would suggest trying that and seeing if it helps. P.S. Glad you are enjoying the site!
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Don't eat back your exercise calories. I find that if I don't eat back exercise calories I'm good. Also I'm convinced that when I input my cardio it says I burn more than I truly did. I want to get a HRM someday to know accurately how much I've burned. : ) Also if you're doing weights you could be burning fat/ gaining muscle. Which is a good thing
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    I agree though that 1250 seems low for a man. hmmm...wierd.
  • 1250 cal is super low for males...usually the average calories for male are 1500cal minimum!
  • SarahBeeMe
    SarahBeeMe Posts: 91 Member
    Yikes - I'd say too few calories.
    When I first started on here I (A WOMAN!) was only having 1250 clas a day and I didn't lose weight at all. I upped it by 200 and that week lost 3lbs and have lost consitently since then. Sounds backward, but seems to work. :)
  • sammybov
    sammybov Posts: 11 Member
    I was the same but perhaps the weight is being distributed. After four weeks of intense exercising I put on 200g. However when my measurements and skin folds were done, I had lost cm's everywhere! Make sure you are eating enough too as not to put your body into shock. I find six smaller meals a day with decent portions of protein and vegetables and limited carbs has helped me drop some weight that didn't seem to be shifting. And LOTS of water too! Hope this helps.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Been on MFP for a couple of weeks now, and seem to have lost a miniscule amount of weight. Am killing the cardio and weights, but I may be starving my BMR by limiting myself to 1250 cal/day.

Fixed.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member

Fixed.

Yep, eat dude...and DO eat back those exercise calories...I lost consistently and hit my goal weight eating everyone one of those muthas back...
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Definately eat some more.

Add a whey protein shake into what you are doing at least. Will give you a few more calories and help build muscle.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    1250 seems way too low for a man!! I have a few friends on here who might be able to help you tweak your plan, if you are interested.
  • Spartan518
    Alright, I think I got the message (thanks to everyone who's offered suggestions and encouragement) ;) I've added in whey protein snacks in mid morning and afternoon. Any additional recommendations are definitely appreciated. Suggested Daily Caloric intake would be helpful, I pretty much pulled the 1250 from the site.

I also use a Garmin 405 Forerunner, but haven't logged onto GarminConnect (same username "Spartan518" if you wish to search) in a while. So will start updating that weekly, if anyone has some additional suggestions.

Don't quite understand the "Eat back my Exercise calories" comment/suggestion. Any further comments might help, I am an Army Officer after all ;)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Lets say you have your 1250 in for the day. You go to the gym and workout. That workout, you burned 500 calories... That means 500 taken from the 1250 you consumed. That leaves you 750 calories you have left from what you ate.
  • Spartan518
    1250 daily goal + 750 exercise = 2000 as my food intake for the day to maintain?!? But to lose, take in less than that net calories of the day (2000)?
This discussion has been closed.