Desk Job Exercise Ideas

Options
So I'm in a 9-5 desk job where I sit in a cubicle all day. I go out for a 30 minute walk almost every day and I stretch in my cubicle. I do calf lifts and stand as much as I can.

Anyone have any good ideas for exercises that can be done (discreetly) at work?

Replies

• Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make circles with my shoulders and neck. Also try to squeeze my stomach IN, whenever I remember. Hope that helps.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    get some elastic bands for your legs.. start at your ankles and work your way up to your thighs :)
  • daram05
    Options
    I'm a 9-5er myself and I just want to say great ideas thus far. Below are some additional things I do at my desk as well:
    - When I stand, I do oblique twists
    - Bicep/tricep dips
    - Chair twists
    - Push-aways from my desk

Just a few to add. But, Im interested in seeing what else our MFP family has to say...so, BUMP!

Dara
  • wise1owl
    Options
    Try flexing and relaxing your legs. They should at least be hidden by your desk. You can also flex other muscles without being too "visible".
  • ChelseaL618
    ChelseaL618 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can squeeze your knees together 30 times to work your inner thighs. To work your outer thighs, put your hands on the outside of your knees to provide resistance. This will work your arms also. You can do "mini" knee ups. To do these, just sit up straight and barely lift your knees up. The weight of your legs will provide great resistance. To work your hamstrings, just to the opposite, i.e. put your feet down and engage your leg muscles as if you were getting ready to stand up.
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I think I could get away with most exercise (I work for a health-care provider) but I just don't want my manager to walk by as I'm doing something silly looking. I also don't want to disturb my cube mates.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sit with good posture at all times! This burns more calories than slouching.

Also, make sure you stand up at least once every hour... whether it's to go to the restroom, the water fountain, the copy machine, or to just stand up because you can... it helps wake up your metabolism. :)
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    good topic BUMP, I feel so lazy after sitting at work all day
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Myself and another co-worker bring in exercise physio balls to sit on. You have to engage your core for balance and can be discreet while doing a few exercises. Just do it in intervals or 10 minutes or so, or you will end up sore at the end of the day (I know this from experience).
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jaelhde
    Options
    Great ideas! Those of you who report standing at work, what do you count for your calories burned?
  • Nelly_J
    Options
    Love these ideas! I'm a 9-5er myself; really needed this! Thanks! Feel free to add me; I'm always looking for friends with similar activity levels!