Lies

Options
So, before the hate responses start, I’m probably not talking about you. And I’m certain some folks have legitimate excuses – oops, I meant reasons, why losing weight is impossible. This post REALLY is about me and my what goes on in my own head. As much as I fight against it and as far as I’ve come, it’s sometimes STILL what goes on in my head. Writing it down is my attempt to get back on the right course.

Lie: It’s my metabolism.
Truth: There are natural ways to ramp up my metabolism. And no matter what, it’s not a good excuse to stay fat.

Lie: I’m genetically predisposed to be overweight.
Truth: Maybe. I’m also genetically predisposed to be an alcoholic, diabetic, heart-diseased, cancer-riddled corpse by the time I’m 50. Doesn’t mean I should give into it.

Lie: I’m big-boned.
Truth: The size of my bones has nothing to do with the amount of fat hanging from them.

Lie: I don’t have time to exercise.
Truth: I can make time for what’s important. I NEED to make time for what is important.

Lie: I don’t have time to cook healthy every day, every meal.
Truth: I don’t have time to recover from a heart attack. With planning, cooking at home takes less time then calling in an order, picking it up, and bringing it home to eat.

Lie: I’m too tired.
Truth: Exercise would help with energy levels. I’ll sleep better. I should stop using an afternoon coffee to replace would should be happening naturally.

Lie: I’m just fine the way I am.
Truth: I AM just fine the way I am, but I could be healthier. With more energy. And an even better body. And by better, I mean stronger, healthier, and more toned.

Lie: Every social event revolves around eating or drinking. It’s impossible to avoid!
Truth: There are ways to go out and skip the high-cals. Eat first, avoid the high sugar mixers, opt for a glass of red wine and alternate with water or seltzer. Do more talking and less eating.

Lie: I don’t know why I’m not losing weight.
Truth: I’m eating too much and not moving enough. Repeatedly.

Lie: I must have put these jeans on high heat in the dryer. That’s why they’re so small.
Truth: Unless my entire closet went into the dryer on high, it’s not the jeans that shrunk. It’s my butt that expanded.

Lie: I can have just a little of “x.”
Truth: The first chip in the armor is this exact line of thought. I do not do well when I have just a little. It starts a bad cycle. Like a drug addict, I can’t have “just a little” sugar. I do best when I stick with natural foods, avoid processed sugars, and eat close to nature.

Lie: I feel deprived when I’m not eating what everyone else is eating.
Truth: I do best when I march to my own drum. When did I become a follower? The deprivation factor disappears when I eat assorted, healthy foods – I can healthfully satisfy cravings for sweet, salty, or crunchy.

Lie: It’s my hormones.
Truth: MAYBE a day or two a month – but how does that explain the other 28 days?

Lie: It's not worth the effort, day after day, for the rest of my life. It's too exhausting/boring/limiting.
Truth: Nothing could be more worth it. Yes, it takes time, planning, DAILY dedication. And I'm worth it.

Replies