Controversial question.

Options
brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
Well, I'm in the mood for some (hopefully) intelligent conversation to read and/or participate in, so I'm going to ask a somewhat controversial question.

Should the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) be allowed to regulate or ban the use of tobacco (mainly cigarettes) as an addictive drug?

Now before you answer, I'd be very interested to hear an argument from a NON-biased POV (facts only.) and then your argument from a biased position (what you think from a smoker's/non-smoker's POV.) Please remember that most people are adults here, and this is meant to be a DEBATE not an irrational argument.

From a non-biased stand point, I say they should be allowed to regulate it, but not ban it. I feel that even if it was banned, the demand would end up being even higher and it'd just get sold illegally, anyway. I think regulating it is a good idea simply because the additives in cigarettes are so harmful not only to those that smoke, but to those that are too close to the ones that do. As far as the types of regulations, I'd say there wouldn't really need to be a regulation put on some tobaccos used for hookah smoking or something of the like provided they were "natural" (i.e., only consist of tobacco and honey/molasses.)

From a biased stand point, I stand with my above argument.

Replies

• Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    this sounds like a college qu i just did. On non bi is that yes tobaco kills people so regulation makes sence, but bi is that people can make there own choices. If they wanna die via cancer its there choice.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's already regulated. I will probably never be banned. To profitable.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    No.

I hate smoke. I can't stand the smell of it. It makes me sick - literally - if I'm around it too long. However, if the FDA is going to regulate smoking or ban cigarettes, what's next? My addictive drug of choice is caffeine. God help the person who tries to control caffeine.

As much as I hate smoke, I don't read too many news reports in which an accident occured due to someone smoking. Will the FDA attempt to ban it? God help the person who tries to keep beer from me.

Smoking is an adult choice. Not a good one, but it's still a choice. Stupid to do around children and others, but so is sex abuse, verbal abuse, and physical abuse.

And, for what it's worth, I don't believe people who own their own business should be forced to not allow smoking. I can make the choice to go to a place where smoking is permitted or not. Personally, I'll chose to not go. But the owner knows his/her clientele more than I so if I'm lost as a customer, they must have plenty to replace me.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I like the argument about regulation, but there are so many things that need to be "fixed" that I truly believe it is time for adults to be responsible and make their own decisions about products. Smokers and non-smokers both know most of the detrimental effects of smoking, yet some people continue to smoke, while others avoid it entirely. Just like those of us who are on this site have finally come to a realization that we ultimately control our own issues with weight, adults must make those decisions for themselves.

Despite the bad rap the American education has been getting from the media, we are a nation of well-educated individuals, suitable for making our own decisions. The more the government has to "parent" our decisions and activities, the more "child-like" our collective behavior becomes.

So, in the end, I think the government should step back and let Americans (in my case; I apologize for the generalization to any other nationalities joining in on this debate) be the educated adults that we are, let people make their own mistakes, and stay out of the issue entirely.

My completely biased opinion? I hate tobacco. Nasty, nasty stuff. But it's my adult decision to avoid it.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    It's already regulated. I will probably never be banned. To profitable.

Obviously, regulated even more so :P And I somewhat agree about tobacco in general, but not about cigarettes.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    hmm im kinda on the fence about this would the world be a better place if it didnt exist probably but at the same time i think if your going to ban that then you would also have to look at banning alcohol for a start they both kill they are both addictive and the one thing that alcohol does that smoking doesnt is that it causes violence.

Personally I would feel like a hypercrite asking someone to not smoke considering i like to have a couple of drinks etc even though i really dislike smoking i guess we have to find a happy medium where people can choose to smoke but only away from others if they choose to kill themself thats fine but others shouldnt have to breath in their chemicals in the same way people shouldnt have to consume alcohol just because i choose to.

another thing is what about pot why is it illegal when the other very harmful drugs are legal im not saying to legalise it but personally i believe it causes less problems then alcohol.

lol probably not the most helpful answer
  • winpens
    winpens Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am bias I guess cuz I have experienced watching 2 of my friends battle for there life from the effects of smoking. One passed away and the other was at stage 4, lung cancer that had metastasized to the brain.....He by some miracle is alive 3 years later and cancer free today......No it should not be banned however it should not be legal to profit from it.....asbestos is a class a carcinogen in Canada.....no one would support it being sold at home depot so it could be used as an insulator in your child's bedroom...

I smoked for along time, had a brain tumor myself in 98 and continued to smoke.....well now I don't smoke...I don't preach either....but I do like to encourage peeps not to smoke.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    Its a personal choice to light up. Just like its a personal choice to eat cheeseburgers. However, our choices and rights are being taken away all the time.

The FDA is such a joke. These are the same people that allow all these drug companies to put these medications on the market that have more side effects than they cure the problem.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    No.

I hate smoke. I can't stand the smell of it. It makes me sick - literally - if I'm around it too long. However, if the FDA is going to regulate smoking or ban cigarettes, what's next? My addictive drug of choice is caffeine. God help the person who tries to control caffeine.

As much as I hate smoke, I don't read too many news reports in which an accident occured due to someone smoking. Will the FDA attempt to ban it? God help the person who tries to keep beer from me.

Smoking is an adult choice. Not a good one, but it's still a choice. Stupid to do around children and others, but so is sex abuse, verbal abuse, and physical abuse.

And, for what it's worth, I don't believe people who own their own business should be forced to not allow smoking. I can make the choice to go to a place where smoking is permitted or not. Personally, I'll chose to not go. But the owner knows his/her clientele more than I so if I'm lost as a customer, they must have plenty to replace me.

Good point about the caffeine. Are businesses forced to ban smoking where you are, or did I read that wrong? Where I am, it's up to the business, but most places either ban it entirely or just have a small smoking area.
  • alm0dni
    alm0dni Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Facts that I know are this- My grandfather died a horrible death of lung cancer and I am now watching my mother die of the same thing. It is a horrible thing to watch, as any other drug related death. People will do what they want illegal or not. The government can ban anything they want, but there is always a way to get around it. I am not a smoker, but they way the government has banned smoking out of bars, in my opinion is ridiculous. If people want to smoke in a bar, they should be allowed. It is also the other consumers choice to be in that bar or to leave. If you don't like smoking, then don't go. I do understand some public places, but in regaurds to a bar, who cares.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Its a personal choice to light up. Just like its a personal choice to eat cheeseburgers. However, our choices and rights are being taken away all the time.

The FDA is such a joke. These are the same people that allow all these drug companies to put these medications on the market that have more side effects than they cure the problem.

:laugh: agree!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    hmm im kinda on the fence about this would the world be a better place if it didnt exist probably but at the same time i think if your going to ban that then you would also have to look at banning alcohol for a start they both kill they are both addictive and the one thing that alcohol does that smoking doesnt is that it causes violence.

Personally I would feel like a hypercrite asking someone to not smoke considering i like to have a couple of drinks etc even though i really dislike smoking i guess we have to find a happy medium where people can choose to smoke but only away from others if they choose to kill themself thats fine but others shouldnt have to breath in their chemicals in the same way people shouldnt have to consume alcohol just because i choose to.

another thing is what about pot why is it illegal when the other very harmful drugs are legal im not saying to legalise it but personally i believe it causes less problems then alcohol.

lol probably not the most helpful answer

Oh I so much agree with your last point, but I really won't get into that here :laugh:
  • Millie77
    Options
    I believe it should be a persons choice what they want to do. However, saying that, I love that IL has a ban for indoor smoking. My son has a severe congenital heart defect and he CANNOT be around smoke. I love that now we can go places and he doesn't have to be affected by another persons choice to smoke, which can harm his health. If they want to smoke, fine, just don't make asthmatics, and others health be compromised by it.
  • alm0dni
    Options
    Where I live smoking is banned everywhere unless the food sales are under a certain percentage. So most bars are smoke free.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I say tax it all (heavily) - cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana. We could be out of the federal debt crisis in no time.

Don't subject people who don't want to be around it, to it. So, make it more widely unacceptable and illegal to smoke in public places.

Enforce laws about operating vehicles while under the influence any mind-altering substance.

To add on to your debate question: Should highly processed foods and trans or saturated fats be taxed, banned, or made unavailable? I don't want the government telling me what I can and can't do, so my opinion on this one is the same: tax the heck out of it. I can still have it if I want it, but hopefully it discourages.
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can't smoke in any public building in British Columbia. Bars included. It's fabulous for non smokers. And it's the norm here now for the past 8-10? years. No one questions it, and my kids can't imagine it being different.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a college qu i just did. On non bi is that yes tobaco kills people so regulation makes sence, but bi is that people can make there own choices. If they wanna die via cancer its there choice.

On one hand people can make their own choices, but as soon as that choice affects someone else it's another story.

I don't like having choices made for me.
    As someone who lives upstairs from a smoker who's smoke filters into my apt. I say regulate, not just cigarettes, but second hand smoke as well.

(Guessing I'm probably predisposed to cancer, since my Dad had 7 different bouts with at least 5 different types of cancer before he died of... cancer)

Maybe regulation would include limiting chemical additives that are included in cigarettes or at least a comprehensive list of ingredients. So people CAN make a decision based on facts instead of marketing.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part I live in a smoke free county. You cannot smoke in restaurants. I think you still can in some bars, so restaurants that also have bars had to build walls, etc to accommodate the no smoking ban. For the most part national chains just eliminated smoking altogether (Applebee's, TGI Fridays, etc.), but this created issues with mom and pop restaurants.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    shouldnt it be the right of the business owner to decide if they want a nonsmoking facility?
  • alm0dni
    Options
    I agree with that. It should be the right of the business owner. If their customers smoke then let them. Especially in bars. Everyone in the bar are adults, it is your choice to go.