Asian BMI Chart?

Options
I've seen Asian BMI charts out there and so my question is: If someone is of small enough frame, should they go by that chart? I'm not Asian but I have a very small frame. Either way, I know and understand I am underweight (currently trying to gain weight) but not AS Skeletor with the Asian chart.
I suppose my question is, even though I am not Asian, yet have that tiny build, could I still use that chart? Or is that chart just BS?

Replies

• surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    When they came out with BMI charts, I never thought to highly of them. They don't make allowances for the person who is very muscular or the person who is of slight build. I feel that measuring body fat is by far a better indicator of how a person is doing. (Again just my opinion.):flowerforyou:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    True. Because a very muscular person could be considered "obese". I was told the only way of knowing was doing some sort of water test for body fat. Bleh.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    True, these BMI charts are such BS.
    My doctor and I like to joke about how unrealistic they are.

Just for fun, I tried calculating my BMI imputing my race as "asian" and it gave me the exact same number as the caucasian test did.

Those water tests for measuring body fat are supposedly super accurate though :wink:
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    The water dunking is probably still the most accurate way. But I have a digital scale, and it reads both body fat and water content. (you have to step on it barefoot) I've had it for several years, so they are probably lots cheaper than what I paid for mine back in the day. There is also a formula that you can apply using measurements (wrist, hip, etc) and it comes really close to being accurate. I will see if I can find it for you.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thank you much:smile: